Dimmer Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

dimmer switch

recently installed 6 recessed lighting cans, 85 watts on an existing BX cable line, i attached new 14 gauge wire throughout the cans and met it with the 'live' BX at the dimmer switch...turn on power...hear a pop...maybe i wired wrong...bought new dimmer...heard another pop when breaker was on...turned off then on again...everything lights up...but dimmer does not dim...any suggestions...i read that 'old school' BX uses it sheathing as a ground...so i just combined the ground of the 14 gauge to the dimmer's ground...
rgentil32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,084

85 watts for 6 cans? What type of lamps are in the cans?
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

my mistake 6 x 85 watts...510 total
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Electrician 30 yrs +

Might be the dimmer is rated at lower wattage than the load you put on it.Most dimmer switches are rated at 300 to 500 watts.Try another that is rated for 1000 watts

huck
huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

dimmer update

i bought a 1,000 watt dimmer...tried to turn it on and same thing...think too much ampage was on the line...so, i wired a new dedicated 15 amp to an available bus...14 gauge wire...when i tried to turn on the new breaker, solely dedicated to the 6 recessed 85 watt cans, a spark occurred near the new breaker...checked all connections...any thoughts...thanks rick
Old 04-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgentil32 View Post
recently installed 6 recessed lighting cans, 85 watts on an existing BX cable line, i attached new 14 gauge wire throughout the cans and met it with the 'live' BX at the dimmer switch...turn on power...hear a pop...maybe i wired wrong...bought new dimmer...heard another pop when breaker was on...turned off then on again...everything lights up...but dimmer does not dim...any suggestions...i read that 'old school' BX uses it sheathing as a ground...so i just combined the ground of the 14 gauge to the dimmer's ground...
get yourself a ground strap for the bx and hook it up with a ground. Double check all your light connections for a pinched wire as without the ground connected there's no way for the breaker to trip if you have a short to ground...or get a ground strap and then see if the breaker flips.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Never install a dimmer until you verify that the circuit is correct. As you should have learned it's an expensive lesson.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgentil32 View Post
Is your terminology correct? Are you saying you connected the dimmer grounding wire to one of the conductors coming out of the BX? BX does not have a grounding conductor inside the sheath.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,800

I get the impression you made a mistake in the wiring or there is a pinched wire somewhere causing a short circuit that burned out the dimmer.

Do the lights work correctly if you substituted a regular switch for the dimmer switch?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,800

I get the impression you made a mistake in the wiring or there is a pinched wire somewhere causing a short circuit that burned out the dimmer.

Do the lights work correctly if you substituted a regular switch for the dimmer switch?

It is not unusual to incorrectly connect the switch between hot and neutral. Instant short circuit.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Is your terminology correct? Are you saying you connected the dimmer grounding wire to one of the conductors coming out of the BX? BX does not have a grounding conductor inside the sheath.
what he's saying is there's no ground on the bx so what he did is just connect his new 14/2 to the dimmer ground.
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there a grounding strap that must be used when your using the sheath as a ground?
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Master Electrician

A ground screw or a ground clip on the metallic box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement