Digital TV And Satellite TV Set-up Advice - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Digital TV and Satellite TV set-up advice

Hi,

The previous owners of my house had satellite tv installed, and when they vacated the house they naturally ended their subscription and the dish was removed. The wiring however was left in place.

I attached a loft aerial to the distribution/signal booster box and this allowed the analogue signal to be distributed the various rooms and the four terrestrial channels could be viewed and this met my needs.

However, now with an eye to the future and going digital I was wondering, instead of having to buy an individual STB for each TV, if I connected the STB to a power supply in the loft and connected the loft aerial to the in port of the STB and the out port to the distribution box will this work and allow the digital signal to be carried to all of the rooms and would this eliminate the need for separate STB per each TV?

And secondly if I wanted to also get the UK free-to-air channels if I got a dish could this allow me to get Irish DTT and the UK channels together?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

tv installation

Last edited by indatom123; 12-28-2010 at 01:49 PM.
indatom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You are in the UK?

Quote:
I attached a loft aerial to the distribution/signal booster box and this allowed the analogue signal to be distributed the various rooms
Is the UK not transitioned to digital over-the-air yet. If not, why do you need a set-top box?

Quote:
if I connected the STB to a power supply in the loft and connected the loft aerial to the in port of the STB and the out port to the distribution box will this work and allow the digital signal
What are the output formats of the set-top box? What kinds of plugs to they have? How do you intend to control the set-top box if it is in the loft?
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 24,014

Not sure about all the signals available in the UK. But I can say that setting one STB in the loft and feeding all the TVs in the house should work. There are some things to be aware of however.
1. All the TVs in the house will watch the same channel.
2. You will need a UHF remote to control the STB not a line of site infrared unit.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement