Decorative Vs. Inline Bathroom Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Decorative vs. Inline bathroom fan

I'm really not sure which to choose.

I like the idea of the decorative fan where it looks just like a normal light fixture, but I wish even the really quiet 2.5 sone models were a bit quieter (but it's still OK). The bad part is that the customer reviews for these say that they are so quiet that you can't hear them.

The idea of inline fans seems nice, but I wonder if they really are that much quieter? People say that inline fans are incredibly quiet, but are they the same hearing-impaired people like those that wrote the reviews on other fans?
mtk369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

In have 3 Fantech fans installed at my house. If the fan is sufficiently remote you don't hear the motor, but you do hear the movement of the air-flow though the intake grills.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 464

I guess it depends on where the inline fan is in relation to your vent. The further away it is, the less likely you will hear the fan through the duct work. Large office buildings usually have some sort of central fan for their bathroom vents. Typically, all you can hear is the sound of the air being sucked into the vent.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #4

The only thing I'm worried about is that the fan, even though it will be in the attic, will be about 3 feet from the bathroom wall. See the attached diagram.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

mtk369 most inline fans in the 4" to 6" range I've come across are typically rated around 2.2 to 2.8 sones. So they're not all that noisey to begin with. Of course these are not usually tested within a duct so the actual noise level you get could be considerably different. But way I see it as long as that fan is not located close to your vent outlet whatever noise the fan does generate should be a non-issue. The sound of passing air should be all the noise you'll have to contend with.

Cheers,
ChrisFixit

edit: Just saw your diagram. Whats the sone rating on the fan?
ChrisFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFixit View Post
edit: Just saw your diagram. Whats the sone rating on the fan?
AFAIK it's not specified. I was mostly looking at there three models by Fantech:

http://www.bathroomfanexperts.com/ba...brands=Fantech
Old 11-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

What you will likely hear, if you hear any fan noise at all, it the vibration of the fan as transmitted through the structure.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
What you will likely hear, if you hear any fan noise at all, it the vibration of the fan as transmitted through the structure.

and if you use an isolating mount, you shouldn't have that problem either.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

I recently installed an inline fan and love it. All you hear is the sound of air flow. The problem with the inceiling fans is they may be quiet at first but they are made very cheap and get loud and out of balance within months.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

@nap I was curious about isolating mounts. I couldn't find anything from Fantech save the standard mounts. So I was wondering if true isolating mounts couldn't be found, would using the standard mount with a dampening material (rubber mat material, insulating foam, weather stripping, etc) work as a substitute. I know I sometimes use this method when tinkering inside my computer to keep its noise level down.

Cheers,
ChrisFixit
ChrisFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
@nap I was curious about isolating mounts. I couldn't find anything from Fantech save the standard mounts. So I was wondering if true isolating mounts couldn't be found, would using the standard mount with a dampening material (rubber mat material, insulating foam, weather stripping, etc) work as a substitute.
That might partially work, but won't the screws still transmit some vibration?

Quote:
I know I sometimes use this method when tinkering inside my computer to keep its noise level down.
My case came with grommets that completely surround the screw holes in the case (even on the inside of the hole), that way they can't transmit vibration. I wonder if something like that would be possible, or if that's how they make vibration-reducing mounts.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

They are so quiet I would hardly even worry about the way it's mounted. Of course every bit helps, and fans may vary. I have mine hanged using plumbers tape, and some pieces of copper wire to prevent the fan from being able to slide out. When I go downstairs (where I mounted it) I don't even know it's on if the dehumidifier is running.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement