Damaged A 50 Foot 8-2 Cable. Options ? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Damaged a 50 foot 8-2 cable. Options ?

Pulled out a wire staple on a 30A circuit with a copper 8-2 and bam !
Never would have believed the pliers nicked one line side and ground in the center.
Should have done it cold.

Any other option other than putting in a new cable, or putting in a splice box with access which looks ugly? What other options are there.
The cable is damaged on the sheath and one hot side damaged slightly where it arced to the center ground.
I know code varies but is there a method I could repair this without a splice box ?
Thanks.

Last edited by tuckerz; 11-10-2009 at 08:44 PM.
tuckerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerz View Post
Pulled out a wire staple on a 30A circuit with a copper 8-2 and bam !
Never would have believed the pliers nicked one line side and ground in the center.
Should have done it cold.

Any other option other than putting in a new cable, or putting in a splice box with access which looks ugly? What other options are there.
The cable is damaged on the sheath and one hot side damaged slightly where it arced to the center ground.
I know code varies but is there a method I could repair this without a splice box ?
Thanks.
I'm afraid not! The best and most legal thing (maybe not the most practical and doable) would be to replace the entire cable. But (I'll take back the word LEGAL. Because the second option is just as legal.) the most practical thing is SPLICING in a short piece of cable with a Junction box of the proper size. As for the aesthetics of the Patch job. I'm certain that a good craftsman can build something around it that will make it look nice! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
I'm afraid not! The best and most legal thing (maybe not the most practical and doable) would be to replace the entire cable. But (I'll take back the word LEGAL. Because the second option is just as legal.) the most practical thing is SPLICING in a short piece of cable with a Junction box of the proper size. As for the aesthetics of the Patch job. I'm certain that a good craftsman can build something around it that will make it look nice! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!
Fortunately I have the slack so I can just use one box. There would just be a cover plate in a soffit overhang in a kitchen. Not that big of a deal, but better if nothing were there.

what could you or have you seen built around something like this ?
tuckerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerz View Post
Fortunately I have the slack so I can just use one box. There would just be a cover plate in a soffit overhang in a kitchen. Not that big of a deal, but better if nothing were there.

what could you or have you seen built around something like this ?
A nice, decorative box around it with a hanging basket containing (artificial) flowers? (good, abstract imagination?? ) The main objective should be that it should be accessible! Good Luck.
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement