Cutler Hammer Tandem Breakers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Cutler hammer tandem breakers

I see there are two different types of tandem breakers for cutler hammer panel boxes. What is the difference? How do you know which one is the correct one to use.
Thanks Ed
Elear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #2
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 75

Your panel should indicate what style it is, CH or BR. CH breakers are 3/4" and BR are 1" according to the Eaton/CH website.

Click here for Eaton page on residential loadcenters.
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brich For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (05-30-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,404
Rewards Points: 3,654

Note to OP, not all panels are listed for use with tandems. You need to check the label inside the panel or check the model number against the catalog.
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Electrical Supplier
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 205
Rewards Points: 150

Theres also a third panel.....

They use bolt on breakers with the number of BA or BAB......

Anyways to answer your question, unless it is a 200A panel, you are more than likely unable to use tandems......YOU CAN use them, but its not RATED to.

If you remove your cover you can easily find out what series by:

If you see a Blade type bus, Unpainted aluminum...Its PROBABLY BR series.

If you see a snap on or clamp type bus with brown painted or tan box...its PROBABLY CH series

If you see bolt on breakers, then its PROBABLY BA series.

NOW the easy definite way:

Bottom right side of box, (Inside the panel) There is the MFG Sticker.....

This is the nomenclature for all cutler hammer residential panels:

First two letters=Series (BR, CH)

Next set of numbers

either 2 or 4 numbers, if two then that is the max SPACES AND CIRCUITS. If four then first two are the MAX SPACES, the next two are the MAX CIRCUITS (you can use tandems)

Next letter, type of panel, L=Main Lug, B=Main breaker. (If there is a number or letter infront of this then that means its a special panel, probably not used on residentials however)

Next 3 numbers are the Amp rating

Last letter is the "Can" size (the size of the enclosure)

(BR series, 30 space, 40 circuit, Main breaker 200A)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LyonsElecSupply; 06-16-2010 at 10:26 PM.
LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old style cutler hammer breakers xtremesurface Electrical 31 10-03-2009 09:42 AM
Cutler Hammer fits smokenguns Electrical 13 06-19-2009 02:49 PM
Can I install tandem breakers to stop my breakers from tripping? sofakng Electrical 1 04-29-2009 01:44 PM
Subpanels & cutler hammer arc fault breakers MoreCowbell Electrical 13 04-04-2008 10:19 PM
Sub-Panel or Tandem Circuit Breakers? dgoldsmith Electrical 2 03-08-2008 12:34 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts