Customized Track Lighting? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Customized track lighting?

I have a room which is very dark, and I'm trying to figure out a way to brighten it up.

For starters, I'm wondering about how feasible it is to customize the attachments to a track lighting installation in a do-it-yourself fashion?

For instance, instead of standard little track light baubles, presuming I had sufficient structure to support the weight, could I / would it be safe to modify the the guts of the little track light so that it is now housed in the neck of a 1950s desk lamp?

I'm very interested in finding out other's input on this, especially if it is "you'll burn your house down".

Thanks. =]

Last edited by CheshireFool; 02-02-2010 at 01:35 AM.
CheshireFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You know, they make so many types of fixtures to go into tracks I am sure you can find something you like, including goosneck desk lamp type things, tear drop pendants, etc., without starting to mess around with modifying existing fixtures. I guess you can do it but it is going to get expensive and could look clunky. If well anchored, lighting track will hold quite a bit of weight.

If you have the ceiling light, think the other minimalist direction too. There are beautiful, tiny, halogen fixtures that ride on two live low voltage nearly invisiable cables and are barely noticeable but for the light they give off.

A lighting store is going to have your best options and quality fixtures. The things at the box stores cannot take the heat of halogens and will fall apart in short order.

Last edited by user1007; 02-02-2010 at 04:55 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well, I wanted to take the track lighting, configure it vertically (similar to those 1960s floor to ceiling lamps), then use desk lamp style attachments along the verticle bar.

And if you haev an example of what I'm looking for, I would positively love to see it, as it would save me a lot of work, and I've been wholely unsuccessful so far.

Last edited by CheshireFool; 02-02-2010 at 10:57 PM.
CheshireFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not sure you want to be putting live lighting track vertically where you could touch it and get a zap (if dumb enough to cram your finger in it)! As for the fixtures, I do not know for sure what you are looking to find. Just go on online and browse through the different track lighting sites. I think a trip to your lighting store will be inspiring too. They will have all kinds of print catalogs you can browse through and will be happy to let you sit for hours doing so.

Last edited by user1007; 02-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement