Crackling, Flickering Light Socket - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By BluegrassGuy
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By afjes2015

Old 06-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Crackling, Flickering Light Socket

Hello, noob member here.

****EDIT: When I first registered the list of forum subjects must not have loaded right away. I now see there is an "Electrical" area I should've posted in. Can and admin move me to the right spot?****

My wife and I just bought a house in February this year. While we go through and find all those 'things' to change, update, or add...something new popped up in the master bedroom closet.

There is a single dome covering in the closet with two light bulb sockets. Of the two light bulb sockets, one of them is causing any bulb to flicker and make a crackling noise. I have tried three different (and new) bulbs as a test.

This is a new development. It hasn't been like this since we moved in. I am curious on the best way to approach this.

Is it safe to leave one light bulb in the "good" socket and take the bulb out of the bad socket? Asking because I don't know a lot about electricity...and when I flip the switch it brings power to both sockets, which gives me pause to use the light in any way for the time being. Obviously I want a better long term fix. But would like to know if the single, usable socket really should be used since it shares a power switch with the bad socket.

Does this issue sound like I just need a new light bulb socket to swap out for the bad one?...meaning...I'm not sure how big this problem could be? I'm comforted that this is not occurring anywhere else in the house. It isn't even occurring in the other socket right next to it.

Last edited by TrollerCon; 06-30-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Noticed wrong section
TrollerCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,442

Re: Crackling, Flickering Light Socket

Some times the tab that the end of the bulb touches does not get good contact with the bulb.
Turn of the breaker and bend it out a little. It is just attached on one side just find the loose side and bend it a little.
Yes you can leave one socket open but if you have a problem with a wire in the unit, it would be best to replace the unit or disconnect the bad wire inside.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
TrollerCon (06-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Some times the tab that the end of the bulb touches does not get good contact with the bulb.
Turn of the breaker and bend it out a little. It is just attached on one side just find the loose side and bend it a little.
Yes you can leave one socket open but if you have a problem with a wire in the unit, it would be best to replace the unit or disconnect the bad wire inside.

Better yet is to replace the fixture with one containing built-in LED's, so there will never even be any bulbs to replace.
de-nagorg likes this.
BluegrassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollerCon View Post
Hello, noob member here.

****EDIT: When I first registered the list of forum subjects must not have loaded right away. I now see there is an "Electrical" area I should've posted in. Can and admin move me to the right spot?****

My wife and I just bought a house in February this year. While we go through and find all those 'things' to change, update, or add...something new popped up in the master bedroom closet.

There is a single dome covering in the closet with two light bulb sockets. Of the two light bulb sockets, one of them is causing any bulb to flicker and make a crackling noise. I have tried three different (and new) bulbs as a test.

This is a new development. It hasn't been like this since we moved in. I am curious on the best way to approach this.

Is it safe to leave one light bulb in the "good" socket and take the bulb out of the bad socket? Asking because I don't know a lot about electricity...and when I flip the switch it brings power to both sockets, which gives me pause to approach the global lighting market is so big and in any way for the time being. Obviously I want a better long term fix. But would like to know if the single, usable socket really should be used since it shares a power switch with the bad socket.

Does this issue sound like I just need a new light bulb socket to swap out for the bad one?...meaning...I'm not sure how big this problem could be? I'm comforted that this is not occurring anywhere else in the house. It isn't even occurring in the other socket right next to it.
I think you should get the socket changed. You could also put a bulb in the empty socket or a plug adapter so that its more safer. If there is any bug or fly going inside the socket when it is on and empty, it could cause sparking. It is better if itís something you get checked because as you said the faulty socket is in the cupboard which increases the possibility of a mishap occuring. I hope you have done the needful by now. This post was to explain why you should have taken care of the faulty socket rather than giving a solution.
Stephbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,972

Leave the lamp out of the faulty socket and it'll be fine till you get around to
replacing the whole fixture.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
CodeMatters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 762

Well I would most certainly hope that the OP (TrollerCon) has dealt with this issue by now as this post is nearly one year old and TrollerCon did not come back to enlighten us as to the outcome of the issue.
CodeMatters likes this.
afjes2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afjes2015 For This Useful Post:
CodeMatters (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,694

Good catch afjes2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crackling , flickering light , socket