Correct Way To Network Coax Cables - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

Correct way to network Coax Cables

Heres what I have. I am completing a remodel project and finishing up the cable. I ran home runs to each location from a central point. Now I am going to run a cable from the outside dmarc point to that central location. What is the proper way to connect say five or six locations to that one cable? Do they make splitters that large or do you need to use a few branched off of each other? What type of cable should I use to run from the outside to the central point. Little confused.
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,800

It is better to have one splitter where all the cables come together as opposed to multiple splitters with sub-branches. With that many lines you may need an amplified splitter (distribution unit) to make sure there is enough signal coming out of each branch.

I think the best cable to use is called RG-6. There are slight differences in color or diameter from one brand to another.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-30-2010 at 10:36 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

They make large splitters, for your purpose a 6-way would work just fine, I would put a termination plug on the 6th output if you are only using 5.
FWIW, a large splitter, such as an 8-way, is simply many 2-way splitters stacked internally. There should be no difference, but I prefer to use an 8-way due to the fact that it's much easier and a lot less terminations and jumpers to make. If I were you, I would pickup a good quality splitter off eBay, I prefer Antronix and they are abundant for a steal on eBay.

As for what cable to use, you want to use at least RG-6. I am happy with Beldin's RG-6 Tri-shield, altho some people swear by using the more expensive (and longer to terminate) RG-6 Quad-Shield. Other than hospitals and buildings near airports, I have never found the need for Quad-Shield in my experience, Tri-Shield has always worked flawlessly. Chances are that you will be perfectly fine with the common Dual-Shield (which is usually just called plain RG-6). What you definitely want to do is get a compression tool (can be bought for $20) and use good quality compression connectors. The terminations are usually where the trouble starts.

What type of cable did you run from each TV to your central location?
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 121

Not to hijack this thread, doing similar work and have questions.

I'm renovating a house just purchased, and while I've done renovation work before, it's been a while (have been overseas for years).

So I have most of the walls down to the framing, and would like to wire for cable, telephone, sound, etc. Looking for a good guide or book that would help me along, but not finding much.

If anyone has something they could recommend it would be great. If not I will start another thread with all of the questions I have, thanks.
JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Electrician

I don't know about any book that would be up to date to teach you something like that. Basically, IMO, your best bet is to just talk to someone "in the know" about your options and then YOU decide what's best for you.

For example, I just wired up a house for someone who didn't want phone lines anywhere, ya know what, I agree with them. Most people only need a phone line to one spot and then they use a wireless base station and wireless handsets thruout the house. So why run phone wiring to 2 or 3 places in each room like you might with cable?

I just wired up my parents house, they didn't want any network cabling at all. They have one computer, if myself or my sister ever stay over we will bring our laptops and connect to their wireless router, so what's the use of all the network cabling? Some people want that, others don't. Some people say it adds to the value of the house, but if you know you are going to be in the house for 10 or more years, today's network cable will be scrap wire when you go to sell.

My point is simply to figure out what YOU need for your situation. Some people will recommend you bring many runs of coax and Cat5/6 to multiple walls in each room, but to other people that is excessive and wasteful, especially if you plan on going wireless.

Planning is key.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 121

That makes sense. I found a couple of guides, but they are outdated already. I'll finalize what I think I need and post some questions. Thanks again.
JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #7

Versa bar, thanks for all the useful advise. I believed I used the quad shield to each location. I got a good deal on it. I ran them a while ago and can't quite remember. I am going to check on Ebay for the splinter. Hopefully I do not need it amplified.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan781 View Post
Versa bar, thanks for all the useful advise. I believed I used the quad shield to each location. I got a good deal on it. I ran them a while ago and can't quite remember. I am going to check on Ebay for the splinter. Hopefully I do not need it amplified.
If you need an amplifier you can get one on eBay for $10 or sometimes less:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antronix-15db-Ca...item3a60f7893b

I recommend the one linked to above. I've always had good luck with Antronix splitters and amps.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #9

One more thing, So a 6 way 5-1000MHZ splitter would do?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Electrician

Yes..
Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #11

Thanks. Should I first try to get away without one? And if I need one get it after the fact. How do you know if it is needed? Crummy picture.

Thanks again for the help
Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan781 View Post
Thanks. Should I first try to get away without one? And if I need one get it after the fact. How do you know if it is needed? Crummy picture.

Thanks again for the help
Yes, try it without one.

To be honest, this is the point in which you let your cable TV guy take over. He should use his meter to see how strong the signal is and tell you whether you need an amp or an attenuator. Usually they would provide these items on their own dime.

Remember, use compression connectors. Many times the cable TV guy will go around and replace any hex crimps with their own compression connectors just to cut down on possible future problems (which cuts down on call backs).
Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
RCDD

Rewards Points: 25

I am in the process of running all new low voltage cabling in my house. I am a fan of running hard wire. Wireless is great for having a few devices connected, but you cant go wrong with hard wiring. When finished I will have 68 data, 34 voice and 68 coax runs. I went a little over board, but wire was cheap and I am in the process of finishing the basement. So now is a good time to plan for anything in the future.
dannykapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
Electrician

Wow, you did run a lot

But if you're happy then I'm glad you did it. You did the work yourself and got the wire cheap so you didn't loose much. It's a point of price that you take in your own home.

Other people know they will never use it and don't want all the "things" on the walls so they are better without it.

I just recommend that people do as they need and not just put an obscene amount of wiring in "just in case" if they know they will never use it.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
RCDD

Rewards Points: 25

Basically I ran 2 data, 2 voice and 2 coax to each faceplate. I may never use most of it, but what the heck. I also ran a data drop to the thermostat, with home automation getting more popular you never know.
dannykapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement