Corner Medicine Cabinet Lights Wiring Rough In? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Corner medicine cabinet lights wiring rough in?

Not really sure what to (correctly) do in what seems to be a non-typical installation. Corner medicine cabinet, with lights above. Likely a 3-light fixture, or some other bar-type to be installed above the cabinet, using a piece of wood/trim/etc to mount the light fixture to.

Drywall is not up yet, but ready to go up after insulation.

My first inclination was to mount an octagon box in the corner (flush with back of drywall), use a 1/2" mud-ring to convert to round, then use a cover plate with a hole for a romex clamp, run romex to the fixture, make the final wire connection inside the fixture enclosure. Typically these fixtures seem to be mounted to appropriate fixture boxes on a flat wall (not in a corner).

Then I was thinking a single gang box with a knockout cover, done similarly to the above strategy.

Not really sure what to do at this point. As a last resort, I could frame a 45 wall section/corner up to the ceiling, but wanted to see if there are any other legit options first.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner medicine cabinet lights wiring rough in?-corner-med-lights.jpg  
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 450

Re: Corner medicine cabinet lights wiring rough in?

You can have a short piece of liquid tight come out of the face of the box, and connect to the back of the device if you want to mount the light box diagonally across the top of the cabinet. But some is really up to you.

Andrew
Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
HandyAndyInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
You can have a short piece of liquid tight come out of the face of the box, and connect to the back of the device if you want to mount the light box diagonally across the top of the cabinet. But some is really up to you.

Andrew
Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
So basically run conduit? Makes sense. Since this is the only wire, are there plates for single gang boxes to run conduit out the front of? Also what about the conduit connection to the fixture?

I am slowly starting to frame the corner in, since the other options seem like too much of a hack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,306

I would build a drop box and run the wire to a fixture now or just leave enough wire hanging thru the drywall so you can build the box later.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,356

Quote:
just leave enough wire hanging thru the drywall so you can build the box later.
Agree.
A corner medicine cabinet is a bit unusual. Is light part of medicine cabinet? If so, show picture.
Wiring connections are most likely to be inside light fixture in either case.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Cabinet does not come with light attached. Attached is a picture of what I am working with.

It sounds like ya'll are saying either build it out as a box on top after drywall is laid, or frame it out now, all the way up to the ceiling.

It feels like a hack to frame out on top of drywall, but that would give me a lot more piece of mind. Framing now and making sure everything is flush to the medicine cabinet feels like something will be off in the end anyways.

Also, running drywall all the way up to the ceiling just seems like it makes the room feel smaller, even though it would help prevent dust buildup on top of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner medicine cabinet lights wiring rough in?-img_2574.jpeg  

Last edited by gslenk; 04-15-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #7

Just to confirm, is it common/ok to frame this light/electrical box over drywall? In that case, I just run the romex out of a hole in the original drywall, to the junction box in the new framing built over the "original" drywall?

I think my plan now is to finish the drywall, mount the corner vanity, frame a box for the light/wiring. I will still add blocking under the drywall where I anticipate the box's framing would go. Then drywall around the framed box. This also allows me to decide whether or not to seal off the whole top corner, or leave it open.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

There is no box required in the wall. But like I said, since this is a wet area. I would set a box in the wall, use a blank cover with a knock-out hole in the center, and attach a piece of liquid-tite and run that over to the back of the light fixture. All you need to do it splice the romex with single strand wire in that one single wall box.

If you do not have a junction box in the wall, you may close it all in above the cabinet.

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
Old 04-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 362

I would just leave a few feet of cable behind the drywall. When you are ready to install the med cabinet open the drywall behind the cabinet and bring the cable out just above the cabinet. Install a box on top of the cabinet or if the light fixture has a self contained electrical box, connect the cable directly.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
Corner medicine cabinet, with lights above. Likely a 3-light fixture
Is the cabinet an actual corner cabinet, or standard one you are angling there? Don't forget about the reflection you'll have in the countertop to see the underside.

I interpreted the suggestions of boxing out above wasn't a drywall soffit, but cabinet-style to match the one you have, so it would look like one with pre-fabbed lights.

Since you have a window so close to like a 22" wide cabinet, a 3-lamp fixture might create a hot spot there and the other wall. I'd keep it single, maybe 2-lamp depending on style. I might even ponder a ceiling can light instead to accompany the shower fan/light combo. Maybe a LED strip surround behind the cabinet door. Just thoughts

Edit: relooking at your drawing, I didn't think you had a shower wall. Recessed lighting would need a couple 3" cans or some GU10s

Last edited by 3onthetree; 04-16-2019 at 10:37 AM.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
Is the cabinet an actual corner cabinet, or standard one you are angling there? Don't forget about the reflection you'll have in the countertop to see the underside.

I interpreted the suggestions of boxing out above wasn't a drywall soffit, but cabinet-style to match the one you have, so it would look like one with pre-fabbed lights.

Since you have a window so close to like a 22" wide cabinet, a 3-lamp fixture might create a hot spot there and the other wall. I'd keep it single, maybe 2-lamp depending on style. I might even ponder a ceiling can light instead to accompany the shower fan/light combo. Maybe a LED strip surround behind the cabinet door. Just thoughts
It is an actual corner cabinet, does not come with lights, nor does the manufacturer make lights for it. You will probably be correct about a 3-light fixture being too wide, I did not choose a fixture yet.

So "no soffit" means "do not frame out before drywall". In other words, drywall both walls fully, then install medicine cabinet. Then frame the lighting box/wiring/etc after. I have a couple ideas for what to do and some involve the LEDs you mention. Under cabinet lighting, etc... I am tempted to also do a ceiling can, but not likely.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
There is no box required in the wall. But like I said, since this is a wet area. I would set a box in the wall, use a blank cover with a knock-out hole in the center, and attach a piece of liquid-tite and run that over to the back of the light fixture. All you need to do it splice the romex with single strand wire in that one single wall box.

If you do not have a junction box in the wall, you may close it all in above the cabinet.
It sounds like you are giving two options, does this sound correct? I am leaning towards #2 by the way.

1) Area above cabinet completely exposed, put a box in the original wall, run the wires from the fixture inside liquid-tite to the box that has a knockout.

2) Pull wire through drywall, no box, and install a junction box pretty much how a normal installation would go; in framing above the medicine cabinet, drywall covering this new framing to completely enclose the electrical.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #13

You cannot cover any Junction box. It MUST be readily accessible. Use the light fixture as that junction point. As long as the front of the fixture is removable, then you can cover all of the soffit above the cabinet. Don't think about an actual junction box, it is not needed. You would then have two junctions if you installed one. Use the knock-out in the back of the light fixture. Simple

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post

1) Area above cabinet completely exposed

2) Pull wire through drywall, no box, and install a junction box on the back of a millwork light bar above the medicine cabinet, completely enclose the electrical with a top "cabinet" cover.
Eliminating the wall j-box gives the most opportunities for future changes. Just build a 6" to 8" high cabinet above to mount your light and cover the romex and light box.

Last edited by 3onthetree; 04-16-2019 at 11:10 AM.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #15

Quote:
You cannot cover any Junction box. It MUST be readily accessible.
Almost forgot about that. I'll put a box on the soffit, where the light will be mounted. This will allow me to also run LED lights or any other supplemental lighting around the cabinet. I think I have got a handle on this for now Unless there is anything else to consider.

Recap:
1) Drywall original walls, install cabinet as if there was no lights etc.
2) Install cabinet, hole in drywall above cabinet, pull romex through.
3) Frame out above cabinet, install fixture box, run romex to fixture junction box.
4) Drywall around framed box (front and top)
5) Install light fixture, done.

**In regards to #4, If LED lights are planned, I imagine a transformer is in order, and should be installed to be accessible/serviceable, and probably wont fit inside the fixture electrical box. How does this typically go? Another junction box for the top face of the framed out portion, a removable top or access panel with transformer inside the soffit? Or transformer on top of the soffit/framed box? Then how should the 120v wires be run to the transformer? I would plan on running the low voltage wires for LEDs along the backside of the cabinet between cabinet and drywall to the bottom of the cabinet.

Last edited by gslenk; 04-16-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement