Conduit Size For Internet\phone - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 140

Conduit size for internet\phone

So i was thinking of having the builder of my house install a separate conduit for my internet\phone with my power line. When the house is finished or close finish i can have the phone\internet company come and pull the cable. Trying get a head of the game here but when i call the phone\internet company no one can tell me the size of conduit i need. Does anyone know what size of conduit i need for internet\cable ?
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,592

Re: Conduit size for internet\phone

Have the cables installed prior to the drywall. Run all home runs to a central distribution point.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,584

Are you talking about the service from the street? call them now, and they should come install a direct bury cable. if you insist on conduit, you would be more than safe running a 3/4" but for pulling reasons, a 1" is better.
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPDMinc View Post
Are you talking about the service from the street? call them now, and they should come install a direct bury cable. if you insist on conduit, you would be more than safe running a 3/4" but for pulling reasons, a 1" is better.
Yes from the street, sorry i should have mentioned that. I just figured since they are trenching for the power line they can add another conduit. I was think 1 " too. I was surprised i couldn't an answer from the he company.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Check with the internet provider first.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
I was surprised i couldn't an answer from the he company.
I've never seen an answer of less than a 4"
Are you looking to volunteer for that?
mpoulton likes this.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 574

Quote:
So i was thinking of having the builder of my house install a separate conduit for my internet\phone with my power line. When the house is finished or close finish i can have the phone\internet company come and pull the cable. Trying get a head of the game here but when i call the phone\internet company no one can tell me the size of conduit i need. Does anyone know what size of conduit i need for internet\cable ?
This is because the office person does not know, as they use subcontractors to do their work and have no clue what is going on in the ditches. I would install no less than a 1.5 in. PVC electrical conduit UG, if it were mine.
FrodoOne likes this.
Disclaimer: Any of my replies, advice, product recommendations, or projects that I have done that I post on this forum, are just for informational purposes only. Any reader choosing to use my postings, advice, product recommendations, or choose to duplicate any of my projects for their own use...are doing so at their own risk.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,742

The cable companies do not normally use conduit. They would much rather just come out and mess up your landscaping after you're spent thousands on plants.

Trust me, this IS true.

Almost worse than that, if you use a Custom Integration company that does all the inside cabling, for TV and data, the cablecompnay guys will cut the terminations off that have been professionally installed, and replace them with theirs. Usually making a huge mess, making your system no longer function, and walking away blaming someone else.

Been there way to many times.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,360

Quote:
Does anyone know what size of conduit i need for internet\cable ?
In Australia we have the NBNCo (National Broadband Network Company), which is a company setup to provide Broadband connections to all Australian Households.

(How well they are doing ths job is another question !)

They have a very specific list of requirements, which you may read at https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam...s-and-mdus.pdf - with a glossary of terms at https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam...s/glossary.pdf

For a Single Dwelling Unit (SDU) they require the underground connection from the street to the premises to be via a conduit of
"nominal P20 (23 mm ID; 26.6 mm to 26.8 mm OD) white PVC-U telecommunications conduit, compliant with AS/NZS 1477:2006 PVC pipes and fittings for pressure applications."
(That is [approximately] a 1 Inch pressure pipe.)
See Table 9, Page 24.

Other regulations require this to be at a minimum depth of 500 mm (unless under concrete - such as a driveway - and horizontally separated from other services by at least 300 mm.

Conduit from the ground and to a "Point of Interconnect" box is shown below.
(Note that the size of the conduit matches the size of the opening in the "Point of Interconnect" box.)

Of course, the opening size of you Cable Company's "Point of Interconnect" box (if any) may be different.
Attached Thumbnails
Conduit size for internet\phone-20180405_122028a.jpg   Conduit size for internet\phone-20180405_122148a.jpg  
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,251

They might not want to do that. if you put a pull string in there for them, they might go for it.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #11

Thanks for the info i will go with 1" or 1 1/2". Was trying to be pro active.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 116

I had the same thing done some years back when I built. We put a PVC access pipe from the street to the basement. It is located where all the other services came in. We also added a pull cord.

I'm pretty sure we used 2" PVC, although it _may_ have been 1.5". Mine ran about 300ft.

Some things I learned...

I quickly noticed critters were using the pipe to nest (small field mice). I was able to plug up the inside, but not the outside. It kept critters out, but water did manage to get in over the years.

It took about 8 years for internet to arrive (location is pretty rural). In that time, the little bit of water must have rotted the nylon pull rope. Cable company guys were unable to snake a line through.

However, that's when I noticed the PVC was exactly the right size to hold the hose of my shop vac. It took all of 10 minutes to suck out any debris/water in the line. (Most of that time spent walking back and forth between the ends of the pipe). After that, some string with a plastic bag on the end restored a usable pull line.

Long story short... having an access pipe that is a good fit for a shop vac hose can come in handy.
joe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 272

I would not concern myself with their job.
Its entirely their job to get the cable, phone or whatever to your house.
All you have to do is call and order the service you want.

Around here they use the vibrating spade that slices the earth as the wire/cable is pulled right in, all at once. No trench required.

But its really not a bad idea to ask them about this before you put in driveways and other stuff that might be in the way.
jhil likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,290

here they just bring a small 0.25 inch fiber optic cable inside the house and all hard line phone line and ethernet cables connect to their modem
no more rg6 cable or copper phone line
J. V. likes this.
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,360

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmusic View Post
here they just bring a small 0.25 inch fiber optic cable inside the house and all hard line phone line and ethernet cables connect to their modem
no more rg6 cable or copper phone line
Where is "here"?
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement