Combo Light/Outlet Config Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RAL238
  • 1 Post By keep_hope_alive
  • 1 Post By RAL238

Old 07-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Combo light/Outlet config question

I’m replacing a double light switch with a new combo light switch/outlet. The light switches previously controlled a vanity and a ceiling light. These would Both be controlled by the single switch on the new receptacle. I have a three wire line cable with black, red, white and ground wires, and a two wire load cable. I’m installing Leviton 5299-W COMBINATION SWITCH & GFCI OUTLET. This receptacle has two wires coming out the back labeled “switch output “. The instructions do not include a red wire in its configurations and I’m not sure what to do with it! I have photos… If I can figure a way to load them.
KerryOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,886

Re: Combo light/Outlet config question

Are you sure that the 2-wire cable is not the incoming line? I would have expected the 3-wire cable to be the neutral (white), switched hot to the ceiling light (black or red) and the switched hot to the vanity light (red or black).

If that is indeed the case, then the black and red would both get connected to one of the switch wires on the new switch, and the black from the incoming line cable would get connected to the other switch wire.

The incoming line would also get connected to the outlet line-in terminals.
Nealtw likes this.
RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,966

Were the white wires connected together?
If they were then the two wire cable is your incoming power. Connect the black to the receptacle gold screw and one of the switch wires. Connect the white via a pigtail to the receptacle silver screw.
The black and red are wires to the two lights. Connect both of them to the other switch wire.

Is that the correct number. Why can't I find that device on the Leviton site?

Last edited by joed; 07-26-2019 at 07:23 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Acoustics & Electrical

Rewards Points: 134

The 5299-W shows up on eBay and appears discontinued. I don't like the switch on it.

The replacement is the GFSW1-W and has a nicer switch section and is likely less deep than your current device.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/gfsw1-w

I agree that your description mixes up line and load description. You have good responses on the solution, but be aware it will be very tight fitting wiring inside the box with the GFCI. Be patient and ensure proper wiring methods
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
The 5299-W shows up on eBay
When looking for info on a device I don't even look at ebay or amazon.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Acoustics & Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
When looking for info on a device I don't even look at ebay or amazon.

Sometimes eBay is the fastest way to identify a discontinued item (truth be told the eBay link came up in a Google search of the model number). I'd be surprised to learn it was recently purchased in a store, unless it's a small hardware store with stock items dating back 5+ years.

We have a local electronics store with items dating back to the 1980's, and the packaging certainly shows it. Good for some hard-to-find items, but nothing you'll find in any recent catalogs or mfr pages.

I think the OP should ditch that item in favor of a newer model that has a larger switch, smaller body, self tests, and is tamper resistant; such as the replacement I listed. I don't re-use old items in practice.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
Super Moderator

It may come up in an ebay link but I bet there no info about the device. I have not seen switch receptacle combos with wire leads. I wanted to see if one of the receptacle connections was common to the switch like on the other similar devices I have seen.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Acoustics & Electrical

Quote:
It may come up in an ebay link but I bet there no info about the device. I have not seen switch receptacle combos with wire leads. I wanted to see if one of the receptacle connections was common to the switch like on the other similar devices I have seen.

Link includes images of the device itself.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Leviton-5299-...ite/1800011781

The two black switch leads appear to be line and load, which would lead one to suspect that the switch was not powered from the line input on the receptacle, nor the GFCI protected load terminals. Without reading the MFR cutsheet, I can't say for certain which is another reason to not use it (in my opinion).

A simple DMM test could quickly determine if the leads are indeed switch only, as well as testing continuity between the line and load terminals on the receptacle (not installed, obviously).
Old 07-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
Super Moderator

NO useful info there. Only an image of the front of the unit.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
retired framer

Rewards Points: 9,088

Quote:
NO useful info there. Only an image of the front of the unit.
Does this help
COLOR - WHITE
Actuator Material: Thermoplastic
Amperage: 15 Amp
Body Material: Thermoplastic
Color: White
Feature: Single-Pole / 5-15R GFCI
Ground: GFCI Ground Fault
HP Rating: 1/2HP-120V 2HP-240V
Standards and Certifications: UL/CSA
Strap Material: Steel
Termination: Side
Voltage: 120 Volt
http://electricaloutletswitches.blog...itch-gfci.html
Old 07-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
Acoustics & Electrical

Google search terms: "Leviton 5299 Cutsheet" led to a Leviton brochure with little information. It also lead to a basic cutsheet:
https://stevenengineering.com/pdf/74GFCI_P1.pdf

None of these links provide a copy of the manual that came with the device. None show how it's internally wired. Given it is 6 years old, I say don't use it which solves the problem of how it's internally wired.
Oso954 likes this.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,334

What happened to the instruction sheet that normally comes with such a device ?
Leviton has taken it down from their Library. That usually means it has been discontinued for some time. If you contact them, they may be able to supply you a copy.

IMO, you should toss it and buy the product that is currently on the shelf in stores (no matter where you actually purchase it). When the Mfg discontinues a Wiring device, it often means that it no longer meets the NEC or UL standards.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
When the Mfg discontinues a Wiring device, it often means that it no longer meets the NEC or UL standards.

My guess would be that it was discontinued because it doesn't do the GFCI self test the NEC now requires.
Oso954 likes this.
RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 20

Thanks all for your replies! Sorry about my delayed reply but I've had massive problems signing back into this chatroom... wouldn't take my password and had to reset it 4 times.

So, tried to post more info yesterday but the "reply" button didn't work for some reason (on my phone). Here is the additional info:

>> the hot wire comes out of the 3 wire cable... tested it.

>> on the original double switch the top switch didn't work... nothing happened when it was toggled. The bottom switch turned both the vanity and the ceiling light on/off. Suspect previous owner put in a new double switch and didn't get it set up correctly. Or, maybe they just wanted to have one switch turn on all the lights. Who knows.

>> The combo switch has been in my "electrical stuff" box for awhile, so yes, it's older.
Here are the instructions: https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/GFSW...et_English.pdf

I already have put in a deeper box for the "new" receptacle...

I did get a configuration from someone at DoItYourself.com electrical forum... was able to load pictures there. Can't figure out how to do it here... only seems I can load from a URL...? You can see the thread, photos and drawing at: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...ml#post2788878

Many Thanks again all!
KerryOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement