Combo Fan/Light Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Combo Fan/Light Switch

Hello, All

I currently have a ceiling light that I am replacing with a ceiling fan and light kit. The light is currently on a three way (two switches) set up with each switch in a single gang box. I know I will have to snake another wire to have another line for the fan and install a new ceiling box to carry the weight of the fan assembly.

I want to install a decora style combo fan speed control and dimmer light switch in one of the single gang wall switch boxes. The line for the fan would not be on the three way but I would like the light to be on the three way. The issue is, I can not find a combo switch where the light (dimmable or just on/off) is three way capable.

Does anyone know if such a switch exists and if so who makes it and where can I find it?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
il66pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Re: Combo Fan/Light Switch

I've never seen or heard of a combo fan speed / 3-way dimmer switch. You can change the box to a 2-gang box and install a 3-way dimmer and a regular fan speed switch in the other gang. You would still have to replace the cable from the fan to the double switch - and the double gang would have to be located where the feed is, unless the feed is actually in the ceiling box.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
I've never seen or heard of a combo fan speed / 3-way dimmer switch. You can change the box to a 2-gang box and install a 3-way dimmer and a regular fan speed switch in the other gang. You would still have to replace the cable from the fan to the double switch - and the double gang would have to be located where the feed is, unless the feed is actually in the ceiling box.
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to avoid changing to a two gang box. Actually, I would just take a on/off switch for the light as I do not see using the dimmer much. But, I have not been able to find that either.
il66pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 114

I really dislike a ceiling fan on a single switch. That's a holdover from having a hanging light in the middle of a room.

Seems to me I've seen a replacement switch that has both an off/on for power and a 3 way for speed but you have to have a fan that's compatible.
I'm in the process of rewiring our bedroom fans but I'm looking for ones that only require power and the fan speed is set by a remote controller.
ChuckTin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by il66pony View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to avoid changing to a two gang box. Actually, I would just take a on/off switch for the light as I do not see using the dimmer much. But, I have not been able to find that either.

I would say a combination fan speed/ 3-way switch is about as impossible to find as a fan speed/ 3-way dimmer. There's just not any market to mass produce such an animal.

Alternative is to use a remote control for the fan/speed, and retain a 3-way setup for the light.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement