Code For Garage Door Openers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 08-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Code for garage door openers

I have a two car garage attached to my SFD house. I'm planning to put GDOs in the garage. I plan to run new circuits for them. Still contemplating exactly what to run. Saw an article recently (can't find it now) that has me thinking I need the outlets used for the GDOs to be controlled by a switch. I was planning to just install 15A or 20A receptacles - no switches controlling them.

Do I need switches? Seems unnecessary. What is required?
Thanks,
C
cs8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 704

Re: Code for garage door openers

I think what your read meant: on the low voltage side of the opener, you need a physical switch. Many look like doorbell switches.

Remote controllers, typically in cars, are wireless. But there is also likely a requirement for a switch as above that merely connects to GDO by bellwire. You don't want to open the GDO from inside your house using only a remote. The kind on a keychain can actually open the door similar to pocket dialing a phone.

If you completely want to tuck in the family at night for security beyond most, a physical electric switch inside the house that would turn off power to GDOs can be added.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,014

Switches are not required with cord and plug operators. Using switches gives one the option of disabling the openers during a vacation or long absence from the home.
KPDMinc likes this.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,406

I have never known of a GDO receptacle having to be controlled by a switch. Reads as a real PIA to me, because someone during the day may turn the switch off.

Then, the person coming home from work is sitting out in the drive way banging on their car remote, while trying to get the dang garage door open.

But this OP should start up the debate as per NEC 2017, will the GDO receptacle have to be a GFCI ?

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 08-12-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 588

Not sure what a SFD house is but if you are on the USA, a 15 or 20 amp GFCI protected circuit is fine. Does not need a switch. Most people just extend the existing circuit in the garage.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,608

SFD single family dwelling.

The gfi protection is required under the 2017 NEC. It needs to be readily accessible, not ceiling mounted.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I have never known of a GDO receptacle having to be controlled by a switch. Reads as a real PIA to me, because someone during the day may turn the switch off.

Then, the person coming home from work is sitting out in the drive way banging on their car remote, while trying to get the dang garage door open.

But this OP should start up the debate as per NEC 2017, will the GDO receptacle have to be a GFCI ?
Thats why you mount them higher than one can 'normally' reach. that way, no one accidentally switches them off.
brric likes this.
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPDMinc View Post
Thats why you mount them higher than one can 'normally' reach. that way, no one accidentally switches them off.

Dang KP, I thought you would have learned by now like the other DIY members have, to never call out GOT79 because now you get one of my novels as a counter reply.

As a senior now I am trying to get my head wrapped around the present and the future way of doing things. Even my old school wall mount GDO control in the pic has a "lock" on it.

So anytime people today are installing any new wiring or controls in their home, they need to think modern.

About everyone that will walk in to their garage will have a wall mount GDO control somewhere, on the garage wall. And it should have a GDO "lock out" control on it. And they can use it whenever they leave home for overnight or longer.

People today are getting " Smart controls" addicted. Not only can they monitor their homes security, cooking stoves, heat and air from their Smart phones.. now they can control/monitor their GDO(s) from their SP's.

With their GDO app, their smart phone can be set up to get an alarm from their GDO, letting them know they drove off and left the garage door open.

Or while they are away from home or at work, maybe a burglar just pried open the garage door. Their app on their phone will let them know, their garage door was just opened. So why would they want a wall switch on their GDO that may get accidently turned off, kill these nice features for them ?

And picture this rare scenario which "could" happen in any home today. Say Dad finds out the GDO does not work right, so he just turns the GDO high wall mount switch off, while thinking the GDO may go haywire and catch on fire or even open up the GD while no one is home.

Dad calls a GDO service company for the next day to work on the GDO. Dad gets up and leaves the next morning and tells his 14 y.o. son that is home on summer break, to let the GDO tech in the garage when he shows up.

The GDO tech gets in to the garage and he cannot get any power to the GDO. He checks the breaker box in the garage and the GDO labeled breaker is on. So he knocks on the door and asks the 14 y.o, does he know why the GDO has no power to it.

The 14. Y.O. pulls his IPOD's ear buds from his ears and replies... " Like Dude, I don't know. That's why my Dad like called you. Just so like, maybe you could fix it"...

So the GDO tech finally finds a high mount wall switch turned off, but it is not labeled. Hmmm, now. Does it control a big exhaust fan ? If its turned on, will a loud siren come on ? Will it turn on a dry fountain pump out in the yard ?

So the GDO tech weighs out his liability for turning on a weird placed, high wall mount, un-labeled wall switch. So he leaves and puts on his WO, that he could not find the power source for the GDO. And then ole Dad, gets charged for just half of a full service charge, while the GDO SM is being nice to him.

And this is why GDO's receptacles IMO, should not be wall switch controlled. As the GDO has a power cord on them to unplug, as its means of disconnect. The wall switched controlled GDO, is just another source for possible confusion for the people using or servicing the GDO, now in year 2019. All JMO
SPS-1 likes this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 08-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 588

I would never install a switch for a GDO receptacle. If I have a switch that powers something that needs to stay on like a security light, I install a switch guard and make a dymo label to identify.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6

Thanks to all. Great input. To clarify, I'm referring to the power circuit for the GDO not the control wring to operate it.

I'll go with the plug to unplug if I need to de-energize. No switch for me.
My building department says anything in the garage needs GFCI. I'll go with the GFCI circuit breaker - more $ but seems 'cleaner'..

Thanks,
C
cs8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Dang KP, I thought you would have learned by now like the other DIY members have, to never call out GOT79 because now you get one of my novels as a counter reply.

As a senior now I am trying to get my head wrapped around the present and the future way of doing things. Even my old school wall mount GDO control in the pic has a "lock" on it.

So anytime people today are installing any new wiring or controls in their home, they need to think modern.

About everyone that will walk in to their garage will have a wall mount GDO control somewhere, on the garage wall. And it should have a GDO "lock out" control on it. And they can use it whenever they leave home for overnight or longer.

People today are getting " Smart controls" addicted. Not only can they monitor their homes security, cooking stoves, heat and air from their Smart phones.. now they can control/monitor their GDO(s) from their SP's.

With their GDO app, their smart phone can be set up to get an alarm from their GDO, letting them know they drove off and left the garage door open.

Or while they are away from home or at work, maybe a burglar just pried open the garage door. Their app on their phone will let them know, their garage door was just opened. So why would they want a wall switch on their GDO that may get accidently turned off, kill these nice features for them ?

And picture this rare scenario which "could" happen in any home today. Say Dad finds out the GDO does not work right, so he just turns the GDO high wall mount switch off, while thinking the GDO may go haywire and catch on fire or even open up the GD while no one is home.

Dad calls a GDO service company for the next day to work on the GDO. Dad gets up and leaves the next morning and tells his 14 y.o. son that is home on summer break, to let the GDO tech in the garage when he shows up.

The GDO tech gets in to the garage and he cannot get any power to the GDO. He checks the breaker box in the garage and the GDO labeled breaker is on. So he knocks on the door and asks the 14 y.o, does he know why the GDO has no power to it.

The 14. Y.O. pulls his IPOD's ear buds from his ears and replies... " Like Dude, I don't know. That's why my Dad like called you. Just so like, maybe you could fix it"...

So the GDO tech finally finds a high mount wall switch turned off, but it is not labeled. Hmmm, now. Does it control a big exhaust fan ? If its turned on, will a loud siren come on ? Will it turn on a dry fountain pump out in the yard ?

So the GDO tech weighs out his liability for turning on a weird placed, high wall mount, un-labeled wall switch. So he leaves and puts on his WO, that he could not find the power source for the GDO. And then ole Dad, gets charged for just half of a full service charge, while the GDO SM is being nice to him.

And this is why GDO's receptacles IMO, should not be wall switch controlled. As the GDO has a power cord on them to unplug, as its means of disconnect. The wall switched controlled GDO, is just another source for possible confusion for the people using or servicing the GDO, now in year 2019. All JMO

Mine is actually wifi and has a battery backup, so a switch (mounted anywhere) would be pointless. I was just pointing out the way my dad mounted the 'kill switch' in new home construction years ago, so when residents went on vacation or whatever, wouldn't have to worry about coming home to an open door that some radio frequency messed with their GDO - but thanks for the entertaining rant...
SPS-1 likes this.
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 58

Yes, GFCI is required. Just remember to have it accessable without needing a ladder. A low mounted GFCI plug then to the ceiling plug or a GFCI breaker.
Wiredindallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #13
LeslieInMontreal

Rewards Points: 30

I am in Montreal, Canada. The house was constructed with a receptacle built-into the ceiling. That receptacle is wired to a circuit breaker in the main panel, along with some other receptacles.
If I need to work on the GDO (librication of the door wheels and hinges, I take a ladder and unplug the GDO.

The Door openers we have are what are called "rolling security" codes. The residential GDO can handle about 6 in-car controllers. If we go away for a week's vacation, I usually unplug the GDO.

If you do get a GDO, make sure that from the bedroom, you can scan or have an indicator, you can use to tell if the kids or yourself, forgot to close the door for the night.
Leslie1941 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:39 AM   #14
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,816

The house I bought came with a switch mounted at door header height. With an old "doorbell" style wall button, I grew to like the switch. Definitely used it for vacations, to prevent the light from turning on when walking through the safety beam, and locking out the remotes if I was working in the garage and wanting to keep bugs or wind out.

Now with a new GDO and wall control panel, the motion detector light can be shut off, but the "lock" only disables remotes, not the keypad. So I use the switch for that, and for vacations for the heck of it (supposedly rolling codes can be hacked too?). And two other times, when I was out of town and the torsion spring broke and the sprocket gear another time, I told my wife or kid to flip the switch rather than drag the ladder out and scrape my cars to unplug at the ceiling (hitting the garage door button when going outside is one habit they have perfected).

So if it was me starting from scratch, I'd at least have to flip a coin to help decide, just because of the height and if there are immovable cars in the way to unplug.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:52 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Switches are not required with cord and plug operators. Using switches gives one the option of disabling the openers during a vacation or long absence from the home.

i just unplug my openers when away for an extended period of time, its easier
anyacolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
garage door opener code