Code Compliant To... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 25

Code compliant to...

...pigtail 12 AWG to 6 AWG in a deep outlet box? Is it even possible to do so using wire nuts?
H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
CodeEnforcer

Rewards Points: 99

It is possible to splice a #12 to a #6 using a large blue wirenut. Why would you want to so?
HIVOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 80

This is done on a regular basis in large buildings to minimize voltage drop over long distances.

As stated above, just use big blue wirenuts.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
CodeEnforcer

Really, so how do you ger that #6 under the lug of a 20A breaker
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Idiot Emeritus

We don't. That's why we need to splice the #12 to the #6.

Just run the #12s from the panel to a box somewhere, then run the #6s over the long distance, and if they're feeding a receptacle or a light circuit, splice #12 pigtails at the receptacle box.

Rob
Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
CodeEnforcer

Why not just run #10 then tap off with #12.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm thinking maybe this person already has #6 in place & wants to convert it to use as a 20a circuit

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
CodeEnforcer

Scuba, read what he wrote. They run #12 from the panel first and then tap off with #6. Depending on distance of the #12 from the panel to the junction box there will be a voltage drop. Adding #6 will not increase the voltage drop.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Idiot Emeritus

If the circuit is 120 volts, and the load is several hundred feet away from the panel, #10 wouldn't be big enough. This is especially true if the load is a motor that needs minimal voltage drop for a hard-starting machine.

Some examples are a machine tool at the back of a warehouse, an RV receptacle at a house with a large lot, parking lot lights, ballfield lights, and more that I can't think of at the moment.

Street lighting is likely the largest wire I've pulled for voltage drop. I've pulled 4/0 copper for 30 amp circuits that were over a mile long. This wasn't spliced with a blue wirenut though! More like a crimp connector designed for the purpose.

I've pulled some pretty good-sized wire for stock water tank heaters on farms, though voltage drop is less of an issue here.

A couple of months ago, I pulled a 20 amp circuit with #4s from a panel to the top of a water tank for instrumentation. It was about 800' total. I pigtailed #12s inside the panel using a reducing crimp splice, insulated it with heat-shrink, and used crimp terminations at the disconnect at the top of the tank.

I realize this isn't exactly DIY, but the same principles apply.

Rob
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Engr View Post
...pigtail 12 AWG to 6 AWG in a deep outlet box? Is it even possible to do so using wire nuts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIVOLT View Post
Scuba, read what he wrote. They run #12 from the panel first and then tap off with #6. Depending on distance of the #12 from the panel to the junction box there will be a voltage drop. Adding #6 will not increase the voltage drop.
I'm referring to the OP
I'm thinking he has the #6 circuit & wants to convert it

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
CodeEnforcer

I spent 20 years as a commercial electrical contractor before I became an electrical inspector. Please do not lecture me. My thinking was why not run #10 instead of #12 because of the voltage drop then you could continue with #12 if it is only for an outlet.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I'm referring to the OP
I'm thinking he has the #6 circuit & wants to convert it
Basically correct. Planning to run #6 for future 50A 220V, but would like to use it as 20A 110V for now. Would rather not run a 12 AND a 6 all the way back to the panel.
H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Idiot Emeritus

I very rarely call anyone out by name here, but I feel a need to in this thread.

HIVOLT; I wasn't trying to lecture you or anyone else. My posts were simply a response to your statement in post #2 "Why would you want to do so"

My response was nothing more than an answer to your question.

Your response in post #4 appeared to show a lack of experience, so I tried to explain it a bit further.

Next, you countered with "Why not run #10 and tap off with #12."

My next post was an attempt to explain why running #10s and tapping off with #12s doesn't always work. Sometimes, larger wire is needed.

I'm sorry that you got the idea I was trying to lecture you, I was simply trying to explain how larger wire is used on small circuits. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rob
Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #14
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
If the circuit is 120 volts, and the load is several hundred feet away from the panel, #10 wouldn't be big enough. This is especially true if the load is a motor that needs minimal voltage drop for a hard-starting machine.

Some examples are a machine tool at the back of a warehouse, an RV receptacle at a house with a large lot, parking lot lights, ballfield lights, and more that I can't think of at the moment.

Street lighting is likely the largest wire I've pulled for voltage drop. I've pulled 4/0 copper for 30 amp circuits that were over a mile long. This wasn't spliced with a blue wirenut though! More like a crimp connector designed for the purpose.

I've pulled some pretty good-sized wire for stock water tank heaters on farms, though voltage drop is less of an issue here.

A couple of months ago, I pulled a 20 amp circuit with #4s from a panel to the top of a water tank for instrumentation. It was about 800' total. I pigtailed #12s inside the panel using a reducing crimp splice, insulated it with heat-shrink, and used crimp terminations at the disconnect at the top of the tank.

I realize this isn't exactly DIY, but the same principles apply.

Rob
why would you run a 20a circuit 800' ? i would of set a sub panel at some point to feed it off of myself
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
Idiot Emeritus

The 20 amp circuit went to the top of a water tank for a remote level indicator, an intrusion alarm, and a radio transmitter.

It was 3 devices, total load was about 2 amps. A sub-panel really wasn't necessary.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement