Coax Cable - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Coax cable

I have an an antenna ouside my house for local tv channels. Then a coax that feeds into one bedroom but no in the bedroom on the otherside. Can i add a splitter to that coax behind the wall and feed it two two rooms and be able to watch different channels?
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,958

Re: Coax cable

If the tuner is after the splitter then yes but keep in mind splitting the signal does lower the strength of it.
stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,728

If you are in a metro area with strong signals you could get away with it. If you are out in the sticks you might need an add-on amplifier.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,234

Yes but each split drops the signal -3.5dB. If signal is at all marginal with no splitter then this might make it worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
I have an an antenna ouside my house for local tv channels. Then a coax that feeds into one bedroom but no in the bedroom on the otherside. Can i add a splitter to that coax behind the wall and feed it two two rooms and be able to watch different channels?
All the previous comments are quite correct.

With most digital TVs there should be a way where you can obtain an indication of the strength and "quality" of the TV signal for each channel.

If these are in the "good" range, you should have no problem with with using a single passive splitter - which splits the incoming signal in "half"
This is at least a 3.1 dB "loss" but, as curiousB mentioned, in practice it may be up to 3.5 dB.

In any event, if the use of a passive splitter causes any problems due to signal loss (which is unlikely if you are now getting a good signal for all channels) you can use an "Amplified Splitter" to "boost" the signal to both TVs.

However, if you are close to any TV transmitter and already receive a strong signal from that transmitter, the use of an amplified splitter may boost the signal so much that it "overloads" the input stage of the TV(s).

While you could put a passive splitter "behind" the wall, I would not recommend it and you certainly should NOT put an amplified splitter "behind the wall".

I suggest that you use appropriate "Keystone" wall plates and Keystone "F" connectors for the (three) co-axial connections that you will need.
FrodoOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement