Cimping Ground Wires Together? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

cimping ground wires together?

in stead of the wire-nut, is it code acceptable today to crimp a small copper sleeve (bushing) on ground wires twisted together? i have seen that in numerous boxes in my house.
drgkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,654

As long as the proper tool is used to make the crimps this is a recognized method to connect the grounding wires.
drgkjd (05-28-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

Yes, okay to use crimp sleeves, but if you use them, place the crimp about 5-6 inches along the wires so you can access it outside of the box. All of my devices are crimped at 2-3 inches making it very difficult to remove when adding/extending a circuit. The can be a real PITA.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 97

ya, it was....that is how i discovered the crimp the first time...had to replace a box and had hell of a time undoing the crimp which was not even 2 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupe Blue View Post
Yes, okay to use crimp sleeves, but if you use them, place the crimp about 5-6 inches along the wires so you can access it outside of the box. All of my devices are crimped at 2-3 inches making it very difficult to remove when adding/extending a circuit. The can be a real PITA.
drgkjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

I agree with Jim that buchanan crimp sleeves are just fine for mechanically tying grounds together, and that the proper crimp tool (the Ideal C24 crimping tool) should be used. That being said, a lot of electricians use other means of crimping them such as crimping pliers. I've never found proof positive that doing that isn't permitted, but the intent of the product is to properly crimp it from all 4 directions at once with the C24. I have one and it works awesome.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (05-28-2010)
Old 05-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I agree with Jim that buchanan crimp sleeves are just fine for mechanically tying grounds together, and that the proper crimp tool (the Ideal C24 crimping tool) should be used. That being said, a lot of electricians use other means of crimping them such as crimping pliers. I've never found proof positive that doing that isn't permitted, but the intent of the product is to properly crimp it from all 4 directions at once with the C24. I have one and it works awesome.
KC.,

Accoruding to my Buchanan copper crimp sleeve it did listed two tools one is C24 which I know it is a 4 indents crimping and also it did listed with specific lineman pliers as well.

The main part is I always look the packing box to see the listing in there if any change I will make a note of it.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement