Checking Power? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CodeMatters
  • 1 Post By electraglide
  • 1 Post By Shadow99

Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 106

Checking power?

Hi all

This requires a bit of an explanation, and am hoping someone can offer an opinion or suggestion.

This concerns a pair of monitors (speakers) by Dutch & Dutch - the 8Cs - which are used with a monitor controller - an Avocet made by Crane Song.

The 8cs exhibit a loud high-freq. popping noise whenever I unmute my Avocet, after it has been in mute for a bit. A quick mute/unmute is fine, but if it's in mute for a few minutes - or when I switch to an active input - this pop occurs. It is coming from both speakers. I had a demo pair, and this still happens in the actual pair I purchased. This did not happen with either of my other two pairs of monitors - Yamaha HS8S and Focal Twins. I do not have another monitor controller to test.

This happens when the spdif cable connecting the Avocet and the sound card is disconnected. So, the only cables hooked to the Avocet are the power cable, and two XLR cables that feed the 8Cs. The same cables, BTW, that have been in place with my other two monitor pairs. I also tried removing the 8Cs and Avocet from my UPS, and plugging them into the same powerstrip to the same outlet, and I have also tried other combinations, such as the 8Cs and Avocet into different outlets, one into the UPS, and so on. The result is always the same.

I spoke with Dave Hill, the owner of Crane Song (Avocet), who does not know what it is.

I spoke with D&D, and they seem to feel that if it's not the Avocet, that there is a grounding issue regarding power, and/or a funky grounding issue that reacts with the electronics somehow.

So, at long last, I finally get to the simple and basic Q - is there anything for me to check as far as my power goes?

Thanks in advance.
jhayat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Very Stable Genius

Rewards Points: 788

Re: Checking power?

I don't anything about sound systems.

Some guys who do are @jbfan , @Shadow99 , and @electraglide .

Maybe they'll chime in when they're logged in next.
Shadow99 likes this.
CodeMatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
electrician

Rewards Points: 726

My only thoughts , from experience while playing in a band, is when there's a problem, it's usually the cord.

XLR connectors, though robust, can fail.

Other thought...capacitive coupling and/or clipping when switching/unmuting >>> cable.

Divide and conquer.
Shadow99 likes this.
electraglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by electraglide View Post
My only thoughts , from experience while playing in a band, is when there's a problem, it's usually the cord.

XLR connectors, though robust, can fail.

Other thought...capacitive coupling and/or clipping when switching/unmuting >>> cable.

I had a different thought.

It looks like the connection between the Avocet and the 8Cs is a digital connection, rather than analog. I'm thinking that when the speakers are un-muted the Avocet is sending out some corrupt digital data that the 8Cs mistakenly process, while other brands of speakers manage to ignore it.
RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:50 AM   #5

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL238 View Post

It looks like the connection between the Avocet and the 8Cs is a digital connection, rather than analog.

No - it's analog.

Just wondering if there is something I can check somewhere.

Cheers.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #6
Deleted Member

Rewards Points: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayat View Post
So, at long last, I finally get to the simple and basic Q - is there anything for me to check as far as my power goes?
The important thing is to not have your equipment running on a MWBC. Any noise in the other circuit can affect you. This is why many audiophiles spec dedicated outlets.
The other important part is to ensure the ground wire and neutral are not touching in any junction boxes.
Third would be not to have any incandescent lighting on the same circuit (kinda ties in with the no mwbc and dedicated outlet)

All these things usually show up as noise. Your issue seems outside of AC interference. Unless you happen to have an ungrounded outlet somewhere.

Things you can try are to disconnect as much equip as you can (and still be able to feed a signal to the speakers) and see if that narrows it down.
The manual mentioned that these will work with an unbalanced signal, but cautioned against it, this ties in with electraglides 'try a new XLR cable'.

Also, since it happens when you mute 'for a while' , can you mute for awhile and turn the volume down before you unmute? Could help narrow down the source.

The speakers seem to have some AGC based on the sound of the room. Can you turn that off, and see if the AGC is saturating while you are muted ?

All I can think of for now.
electraglide likes this.
Shadow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks.

The important thing is to not have your equipment running on a MWBC

Not sure what it's on, but I live in a condo complex, so whatever it is - there isn't anything I can do about it.

Things you can try are to disconnect as much equip as you can

That's one of the things I tried. The prescence - or lack thereof - of other equip. made no diff.

The manual mentioned that these will work with an unbalanced signal,

I am using balanced XLR. And yes, I have tired other cables.

can you mute for awhile and turn the volume down before you unmute?

Volume knob does not factor in here. Pop happens at the same level regardless of where the vol knob is.

AGC = automatic gain control? Or something else? A search of the manual for the term AGC yielded nothing.

There really isn't anything to disable here.

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/temp/81.jpg

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/temp/82.jpg

That's all there is. And yes, -10 yields the same result as +4

Thanks again.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

Site ^ under const.
Attached Thumbnails
Checking power?-81..jpg   Checking power?-82.jpg