Changing Recessed Lights From 1 Set To 2 - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Changing Recessed lights from 1 set to 2

I currently have 8 recessed lights on 1 switch in my kitchen. 6 are around the island/cabinets and 2 are above an eating area on the side. Is it possible to put the 2 on the side on their own switch?

Thanks,
Handyless
Handyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyless View Post
I currently have 8 recessed lights on 1 switch in my kitchen. 6 are around the island/cabinets and 2 are above an eating area on the side. Is it possible to put the 2 on the side on their own switch?

Thanks,
Handyless
Do you have attic access above the ceiling? If you do it would be easy. It can still be done if you dont just not as easy.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #3

No. Unfortunately (for this at least) I have a 2nd floor with hardwood floors above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Inspector/Instructor

Then you need to find how your wiring goes from one light to the other. You would also need to find out how your floor joist run.

If the 2 you want to seperate are the last 2 on the circuit it will be easier also. I will try to draw you some diagrams sometime tomorrow of possible senarios.

Do your cabinets go to the ceiling? Do you have crown molding? Where is you switch in relation to the lights? Some pics might help for suggestions also.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #5

Changing Recessed lights from 1 set to 2-lights.jpg

I hope this picture works. No crown molding just a straight shot to the wall. I'm definately going to end up getting help with this since I am completely new to owning a house/fixing stuff. Just trying to get an idea of what I'm up against. I guess it will realy depend on if they are last.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
Totally screwed together

No matter what, you will have to open up drywall to run that wire up from the new switch location. Fixing drywall is pretty easy.

My suggestion, if you want to get into DIY, is to go buy the orange Home Depot 1-2-3 book. It's pretty good at explaining the scope of a project.

Other than that, just call a remodeling place... these days they will return your calls.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Inspector/Instructor

You should get some experienced help.

However if you take the trim out of the can you should be able to remove the can. There should be 3 or 4 screws to remove to take the can down, be careful to not strech the connecting wire from the can to the j-box.
From this you can get an idea which way the ceiling joist run and what type they are. If they installed ladder joist the job will be easier.

Looking at your lay out the 2 cans you want to put on a seperate switch should be first or most likely last in your wiring line, which would solve part of your problem.

It also depends where your power source is. You need to find out if it goes to the switch first or if it goes to one of the lights and they just dropped a switch leg down.

You should be able to get by with minimal drywall you have to open. Thats why I asked about crown you can hide some openings with it if its big enough.

Also any window casings near the area you want the switch? You can take the trim down and hide openings that way also. Doing these and fishing the wire from one hole to another makes less repair.

If there is a rec in the room above the area you want the switch, you could pull it and the box out of the wall and use a deversa bit to drill down to run you a feed for the lights. It would need to be inline with the lights also for minimal repairs.

There are so many options you could use its hard to put them all down.

Talk to as many people as you can ask them if they know a good electrician that does remodel work. Most will give you an estimate, ask them how they would do the job, how many holes would it take etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement