Changing Air Compressor Plug - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Changing Air Compressor Plug

I have a dual voltage compressor that I am converting to 220v. I have called the manufacture and got directions on changing the wires inside the motor housing to accept the higher voltage. The manufacture wants me to purchase a new cord with the new 220 plug on the end. Can I just get a plug end from the hardware store and install it on the old cord. The cord says 14/3 on it. Can this cord handle 220v @ 7 amps? I can't find any listing on line with current capacity for 220 volt. Thanks
fordtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtch View Post
I have a dual voltage compressor that I am converting to 220v. I have called the manufacture and got directions on changing the wires inside the motor housing to accept the higher voltage. The manufacture wants me to purchase a new cord with the new 220 plug on the end. Can I just get a plug end from the hardware store and install it on the old cord. The cord says 14/3 on it. Can this cord handle 220v @ 7 amps? I can't find any listing on line with current capacity for 220 volt. Thanks
Replacing the plug will work fine. Current capacity does not depend on voltage - the wire will safely handle the same current at 240V as at 120V (or 12V, for that matter). Just choose a 240V plug and receptacle that match each other, and go for it. The white and black wires in the cord will connect to the two hots on the new plug.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement