Ceiling Fan Wiring Issues - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling fan wiring issues

Okay, I know the basics about electricity but need some help with installing a ceiling fan light and fan switch next to a single switch that controls an outlet. I have the wire for the fan running to a new box next to the existing switch.

The wires I have running into the box are the new cable running from the fan with four wires (red, black, white, and copper). The wires from the new fan switch (red, black, copper, and blue). The wire from the main power source (red, black, white, and copper) and the wire running from the old switch (black, red, and copper). I need to figure out how to attach all of the wires together so that the light dimmer switch and the fan dimmer switch work independently from the outlet switch.

If you need more clarity let me know, it is hard to but this information in words, I think it would be easier to have a drawing.

Thanks for your help!
cmlcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

The way you describe your existing wiring sounds a little non-standard to me. You say you have a wire from your old switch that is red/black/copper!? And that the wire from the power source is 3-conductor, red, white, and black (plus copper ground)?!

I am hoping that you can double check this. Assuming you have 110VAC power in your house, this would typically come to a switch box in black/white/copper wire. The existence of a red wire makes me wonder if something strange is going on. Is it possible that the red wire from the existing switch is white but painted red?

For clarification, did you replace your old single box with a double, or did you add a second box, next to your existing one? How old is your house?
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

My house is about 6 years old, and I am pretty sure the wire for the switch is red black and copper. When I get home I will try and take a clear picture and post it to this thread.

I added a box next to the existing switch.

Thanks
cmlcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Regardless of wire colors and stuff, I can offer these thoughts....

In the new box, you will need power source, unswitched, 110V, typically black (hot), white (neutral) and ground. I understand the colors are standard and dictated by building code.

The wire from switch to fan would be white (neutral), black (power for light or fan), red (power for fan or light), and copper (ground). I expect your new switch to have one more wire than you describe...a white one.

You have no need to run the wires from your existing switch to your new box.

At the new box, tie all copper (ground) and white (neutral) together, including white and copper from the switch. Take the black hot from your supply and connect to the supply on the switch (assumed black, but check directions). I assume red and blue from the switch are power for and and light, but check directions. Connect to the black and red of the wire between box and fixture.

At the fixture, connect white neutrals and copper grounds together. Connect fan wire to the one (red or black) connected to the switch wire intended for the fan. Connect the other remaining red or black wire to the fixture wire powering the light.

I hope this makes sense.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement