Ceiling Fan Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 463

Ceiling Fan Wiring

I have been working on remodeling our master bedroom and now that all the ceiling texture is removed and now painted its time for the ceiling fan!

We currently have a wall mounted switch that controls an electric outlet. My plan is to turn the switched electric outlet into a regular one thats hot 100% of the time and not on a switch. I then plan to use that switch to power my ceiling fan.

I do however have a few questions. Is it possible if I add an additional switch to have one switch that controls the lights and the other that controls the fan.
How exactly would I be able to do this?

Can I use power from another source and run it to the switch for the constant power on both and run 12/2 from each switch to the fan? or how else should it be done?
cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 894

Tell us how the existing switch and receptacle are wired.

I would run a 3 wire cable from the switch to the new fan box.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,854

If there is a neutral
In the box with the switch ?
Then you can easily run
Another cable for your fan.
You may need a deeper bix thou.
What wires are in the j box ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,976

Run 12/3 from the fan/light to the switch box. You already have power at the switch box or can get it on the cable that goes to the receptacle by making some wire changes in the receptacle box.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

Their is a constant hot 12/2 running to the switch and 12/2 from the switch end to the outlet.

I did go out and buy some 12/3 so I can wire the lights and fan on seperate switches.

How will I need to wire this? I will remove the current wiring from the switch and wirenut them together. I will use that as my power for the 2 switches.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 894

Are you going to install a 2 gang switch box or use a combination switch (2 single pole switches on a single yoke)?
At the switch, connect a 3 whites together, connect the 2 existing blacks together and to the switches. Connect the red and black to the fan to the switches.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati guy View Post
I have been working on remodeling our master bedroom and now that all the ceiling texture is removed and now painted its time for the ceiling fan!

We currently have a wall mounted switch that controls an electric outlet. My plan is to turn the switched electric outlet into a regular one thats hot 100% of the time and not on a switch. I then plan to use that switch to power my ceiling fan.

I do however have a few questions. Is it possible if I add an additional switch to have one switch that controls the lights and the other that controls the fan.
How exactly would I be able to do this?

Can I use power from another source and run it to the switch for the constant power on both and run 12/2 from each switch to the fan? or how else should it be done?
I have done several ceiling fan installations under similar circumstances. Generally speaking, I remove the existing one gang switch box and cut the hole bigger for a new two gang box. I install a 14/3 Romex from the switch location to the new fan location. If there isn't a feed inside of the existing switch box, I change the connections at the switched outlet so that there is a hot and a neutral at the switch.

Of course there are a lot of variables and more details depending on age of the home and type of construction. If you post some pictures, we can all get a better idea of what you are working with. Is there an attic above the fan location?

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #8

I found an image online and was able to go by that to wire my fan, It worked out great for me. I will add that in this post. I also took some photos of my progress. Please tell me if I did it properly, and if something looks like it needs fixed or just plain wrong tell me, I'm not going to be one of those guys who throw a fit when someone says its wrong! I'm about doing things/ making things correct and as close to professional as can.

Here is the diagram I used.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0430.jpg   Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0435.jpg   Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0436.jpg   Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0437.jpg   Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0439.jpg  

Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0440.jpg  
Old 12-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #9

Work completed

Not sure why the photos are showing sideways!
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0441.jpg   Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0442.jpg  
Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati guy View Post
I found an image online and was able to go by that to wire my fan, It worked out great for me. I will add that in this post. I also took some photos of my progress. Please tell me if I did it properly, and if something looks like it needs fixed or just plain wrong tell me, I'm not going to be one of those guys who throw a fit when someone says its wrong! I'm about doing things/ making things correct and as close to professional as can.

Here is the diagram I used.
How many #12 conductors are allowed in that box? It should be stamped inside. The devices account for two conductors each and the grounds only count as one. Is this connected to an outlet circuit?

My personal tips: I like to install an old work box next to a wall stud and shoot one #8 sheet metal screw through it into the stud.

I have my own method of cutting access holes. I cut while holding the keyhole saw at a forty five degree angle with the tip of the blade pointing inward. I can then patch the hole back up just using joint compound on the cut edges. No need to tape or put any wood behind. I have an example of this on my YouTube channel. Lately I have been using my multi-function tool to cut out access holes. The thinner blade makes a better repair job.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectricianTV View Post
How many #12 conductors are allowed in that box? It should be stamped inside. The devices account for two conductors each and the grounds only count as one. Is this connected to an outlet circuit?

My personal tips: I like to install an old work box next to a wall stud and shoot one #8 sheet metal screw through it into the stud.

I have my own method of cutting access holes. I cut while holding the keyhole saw at a forty five degree angle with the tip of the blade pointing inward. I can then patch the hole back up just using joint compound on the cut edges. No need to tape or put any wood behind. I have an example of this on my YouTube channel. Lately I have been using my multi-function tool to cut out access holes. The thinner blade makes a better repair job.
I am unsure of the number of conductors required? I never looked or knew it said that in the box. I did however buy the largest cu. in. box that they sell typically in lowes. The power coming into the outlet box is also the hot for a outlet circuit.

I wish I thought of cutting an access hole like you stated!
Old 12-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

Sorry for not following up any sooner, but here is the gang box I used from lowes, and I am assuming this is the number you are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Fan Wiring-img_0453.jpg  

Last edited by cincinnati guy; 12-20-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement