Ceiling Fan W/ Dimmer And Fan Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Fan w/ dimmer and fan switch

So i started to replace a ceiling fan with light fixture unit and found some "strange" wiring. Currently, the fan unit is connected to a simple on/off switch and light fixture to a dimmer; i want the same set up. Current set up is:
1) the black wire from fan is connected to black from home (fan)
2) the blue wire from fan (light) connected to white neutral of home
3) the white wire (from fan) connected to ground wire plus ground wire from fan to ground of home.

Everything has worked fine but seems odd and would like to fix this but not sure if needed or what's required.

I've done simple wiring jobs before (lights in garage, install clock outlet for Plasma TV) but want to be sure i get this one right...any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

It sounds like someone used the black and white wires as hot from the switches and the ground as a neutral. Power is most likey routed tothe switch box. They should have used 3 cond cable and not used the bare wire for a return. I would suggest replacing the cable.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
So i started to replace a ceiling fan with light fixture unit and found some "strange" wiring. Currently, the fan unit is connected to a simple on/off switch and light fixture to a dimmer; i want the same set up. Current set up is:
1) the black wire from fan is connected to black from home (fan)
2) the blue wire from fan (light) connected to white neutral of home
3) the white wire (from fan) connected to ground wire plus ground wire from fan to ground of home.

Everything has worked fine but seems odd and would like to fix this but not sure if needed or what's required.

I've done simple wiring jobs before (lights in garage, install clock outlet for Plasma TV) but want to be sure i get this one right...any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
If your just replacing the fan with a simple fixture you don't need to replace the wire just re do the wiring.
1 - In the switch box take the wire that is coming from the fan box in the ceiling apart.
2 - Instead of having the white wire spliced in with the power splice it in with the other whites in the box.
3 - The bare ground wire should already be spliced in with the other grounds so no need to touch that.
4 - Now the black wire coming from the fan you want to attach that one to one side of the switch.
5 - Now you will need to splice a wire from the feed in the box (blacks) to the other side of the switch.

That will take care of that wiring issue. Just make sure the power is off while doing this so you don't hurt yourself
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks dSilanskas:

just so to confirm i follow:

1. In the switch box take the wire that is coming from the fan box in the ceiling apart. this is the home wiring, Romex 14/3.
2 - Instead of having the white wire spliced in with the power splice it in with the other whites in the box. splice it meaning add a white and run one to each switch? on/off of fan and dimmer switch?
3 - The bare ground wire should already be spliced in with the other grounds so no need to touch that. is the fan grounded?
4 - Now the black wire coming from the fan you want to attach that one to one side of the switch. run the black to the on off switch then from
5 - Now you will need to splice a wire from the feed in the box (blacks) to the other side of the switch. so from the on/off fan switch, add a black and run that to the light dimmer?

sound about right?
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks dSilanskas:

just so to confirm i follow:

1. In the switch box take the wire that is coming from the fan box in the ceiling apart. this is the home wiring, Romex 14/3.

You said a 14/2 which would be black, white, bare ground.

2 - Instead of having the white wire spliced in with the power splice it in with the other whites in the box. splice it meaning add a white and run one to each switch? on/off of fan and dimmer switch?

No just add it to the whites and put the wire nut back on it. No wires coming off that.

3 - The bare ground wire should already be spliced in with the other grounds so no need to touch that. is the fan grounded?

Correct

4 - Now the black wire coming from the fan you want to attach that one to one side of the switch. run the black to the on off switch then from

The black from the fan attach to the switch top or bottom screw it doesn't matter just make sure it's to one of the copper screws not the ground screw.

5 - Now you will need to splice a wire from the feed in the box (blacks) to the other side of the switch. so from the on/off fan switch, add a black and run that to the light dimmer?

You need to find out what wire is the feed in the box and attach (splice) a wire from that wire to the other side of the switch/dimmer.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement