Ceiling Fan/Switch Help!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Ceiling Fan/Switch help!!

I am trying to hook up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan\light to a Hunter Dimmer/Trimmer switch (#27182). I have 14/2 ran from the panel to the ceiling box. I have 14/3 ran from the ceiling box to the switch. When I hoop up according to switch chart the fans works but not the light. I have 120 Volts at the white wire coming out of the light when the light switch is turned on. My switch has black, red, blue, and green. I have black at the switch to black from the panel. My red at switch goes to blue for the light. The blue at the switch goes to black for fan. The white from the fan goes to white neutral at 14/2 panel at ceiling box. Grounds are all hooked to grounds. Fan works and trims, but the light will not work. Any help would be much appreciated. Does the white wire from the light hook to the white neutral from the panel. When I hook it to the neutral wire at the house the light does not work.
HammerTime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Ask the electrician has a good diagram depending on your configuration, the one you need is:

http://www.ask-the-electrician.com/ceilingfans.html#ceilingfanwiringdiargram2

http://www.ask-the-electrician.com/ceilingfans.html
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

Thanks but no my switch is a Dimmer/Trimmer, it has 4 wires. Black, Red, Blue, and ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 24,030

Is the light switch on the fan turned on?
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

The white wire of the 14/2 feed from the panel is connected to the white of the lamp and to the white of the fan.

The black from the panel is connected to the black of the 14/3 to the switch. the red of the 14/3 will connect to the other fan wire. The white of the 14/3 will be identified by wrapping tape around the insulation and is then connected to the other wire from the light.

At the switch end of the 14/3 connect the black wire to the common wire of the switch. Connect the red wire to the fan lead of the switch. Identify the white wire with tape and connect it to light lead from the switch.

You will have to figure out from the wiring diagram the colors associated with each function of the switch. If I had a copy of the diagram, I would tell you the colors, however you are on your own here!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Is the light switch on the fan turned on?
We tried it with it on and off at times and still nothing.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Super Moderator

You must reverse the use of the white and and the black wire in the 14/3 cable. The white should connect to the power black to bring power to the switch to meet code. You are not by code permitted to bring switched power to the fixture on the white wire.

Your dimmer could be bad.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
You must reverse the use of the white and and the black wire in the 14/3 cable. The white should connect to the power black to bring power to the switch to meet code. You are not by code permitted to bring switched power to the fixture on the white wire.

Your dimmer could be bad.
I can wrap black tape around the white wire in the 14/3 and run it to the black at the switch. No biggie.
That still doesn't help me with how to wire the 4 wire switch to 14-3 and then to the light-fan. The power switch wires will be red/to black for fan and blue/to blue for light at ceiling fan light.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
The white wire of the 14/2 feed from the panel is connected to the white of the lamp and to the white of the fan.

The black from the panel is connected to the black of the 14/3 to the switch. the red of the 14/3 will connect to the other fan wire. The white of the 14/3 will be identified by wrapping tape around the insulation and is then connected to the other wire from the light.

At the switch end of the 14/3 connect the black wire to the common wire of the switch. Connect the red wire to the fan lead of the switch. Identify the white wire with tape and connect it to light lead from the switch.

You will have to figure out from the wiring diagram the colors associated with each function of the switch. If I had a copy of the diagram, I would tell you the colors, however you are on your own here!
The ceiling fan/light has 4 wires total. White, Black, Blue, and ground. Black at fan comes from Red-Fan at Trimmer(Switch). Blue at light comes from Blue at Dimmer(Switch). Black at Dimmer(Switch) gets power from Black from panel. Green is to ground.

White at ceiling fan light is in question? Where should it be hooked? It was hooked to white 14/2 from panel but light did not work.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Super Moderator

The fourth wire GREEN is ground. It has no effect on the operation of the light/fan. It should be connected to the bare wire in the 14/3 cable.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
The fourth wire GREEN is ground. It has no effect on the operation of the light/fan. It should be connected to the bare wire in the 14/3 cable.
Not sure what this has to do with my question. I already stated I have the ground hooked up.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerTime21 View Post
The ceiling fan/light has 4 wires total. White, Black, Blue, and ground. Black at fan comes from Red-Fan at Trimmer(Switch). Blue at light comes from Blue at Dimmer(Switch). Black at Dimmer(Switch) gets power from Black from panel. Green is to ground.

White at ceiling fan light is in question? Where should it be hooked? It was hooked to white 14/2 from panel but light did not work.
The ceiling fixture will require a neutral for both the light and the fan motor!
Each unit needs a neutral! Sometimes, each neutral will be spliced to an extension neutral, inside the assembly and in in others, the two neutrals are brought out of the assembly.
Whatever the situation, all whites should connect to the neutral (white) from the panel!
Its possible that the neutral for the light was missed at the factory and may be your problem.
With the power off, measure the continuity from the white fixture to each of the fixture leads. If there is no continuity to the lamp lead, you will have to examine the lamp circuit closely, to see whats wrong!
Another option would be to temporarily connect the fan and lamp leads to the black from the panel and the white to the panel white.
When you turn on the breaker, both the light and the fan should be energized.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #12

Quote:
The ceiling fixture will require a neutral for both the light and the fan motor!
Each unit needs a neutral! Sometimes, each neutral will be spliced to an extension neutral, inside the assembly and in in others, the two neutrals are brought out of the assembly.
Whatever the situation, all whites should connect to the neutral (white) from the panel!
Its possible that the neutral for the light was missed at the factory and may be your problem.
With the power off, measure the continuity from the white fixture to each of the fixture leads. If there is no continuity to the lamp lead, you will have to examine the lamp circuit closely, to see whats wrong!
Another option would be to temporarily connect the fan and lamp leads to the black from the panel and the white to the panel white.
When you turn on the breaker, both the light and the fan should be energized.
The whites inside the fan/light are connected together and a single white extends for hook up in the ceiling box. I take it to the whites from panel????
when I checked for voltage from the switch (light side) it has it 120 volts when on and 46 volts when light switch side is turned off. Thus leads me to believe this is a complete circuit.

When I hook the white at light to white panel nuetral and the blue wire at fan to black from panel. it does illuminate.
thanks for the help so far.
would it help to email on yahoo? [email protected]
Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerTime21 View Post
The whites inside the fan/light are connected together and a single white extends for hook up in the ceiling box. I take it to the whites from panel???? yes!
when I checked for voltage from the switch (light side) it has it 120 volts when on and 46 volts when light switch side is turned off. Thus leads me to believe this is a complete circuit. Is this with connection closed or open? If closed, it may be normal as these dimmers alter the wave form, not the voltage.

When I hook the white at light to white panel nuetral and the blue wire at fan to black from panel. it does illuminate.
thanks for the help so far.
would it help to email on yahoo? [email protected]
I don't have any objection to using email, but this discussion may be useful to other readers, also!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #14

Now you know that your light and fan are working properly!

The next step is to reconnect the fan/light to the 14/3.

When dealing with dimmers using a voltmeter is confusing because the power is varied by changing the wave form, rather than raising and lowering the voltage. Voltmeters are designed to respond to sinusoidal wave shapes and as the power level is lowered, the wave shape changes. The result being inaccurate readings.
Its best to use an incandescent lamp tester, to get a better view of whats happening!
One other thing that you could try is to wirenut the red/black and white together at the switch location. Then, when you switch on the power both the light and fan should energize. Just to prove that the 14/3 is good. (and your fan/light connections)
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #15

Quote:
I don't have any objection to using email, but this discussion may be useful to other readers, also!
the voltage at the light coming out wire connected was 120,on and zero off. disconnected it was 120 on and 46 off.

if I connect red/black and white all at the box (switch) shall I leave all hooked up in the ceiling as should be?

Thank you
sorry for being a pain. I'm not a novice but not an expert and this is very puzzling..
damned dimmer /trimmers and 3 wire.. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement