Ceiling Fan Light Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Ceiling Fan Light Switch

Village idiot here. Ceiling fan light switch died. Bought a new two wire, chain pull repalcement and like and idiot insted of cutting the wire on the old swicth and then wire nutting new one in, I took the bunldes apart. Now I can make the fan work but cannot get my head around the wiring for the replacement, I have tow wires coming out of the motor assembly and of course a myriad of wires that go to the lights. Where do the white and blck wires from motor assembly go?
vabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,618

Each light socket should have two wires. One wire from each socket goes to the neutral connection. The other wire from each socket goes to the light switch.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabear View Post
Village idiot here. Ceiling fan light switch died. Bought a new two wire, chain pull repalcement and like and idiot insted of cutting the wire on the old swicth and then wire nutting new one in, I took the bunldes apart. Now I can make the fan work but cannot get my head around the wiring for the replacement, I have tow wires coming out of the motor assembly and of course a myriad of wires that go to the lights. Where do the white and blck wires from motor assembly go?
Why are you wanting to know about the fan motor wires when it's your light dome that does not work?

Typically all whites go in a wire nut with the white from incoming power this is the neutral or grounded leg of the circuit. Some people like to call it the return side. All switches will have power wires connected to them
If your new pull chain light switch has two wires then one will be connected to the black incoming power along with the fan black and the 2nd wire go to the lights. The wire to single bulb light dome is usually blue but not always. Otherwise see JOEDS reply.

Can you post a picture of the wiring ??

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 02-14-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #4

Ceiling fan light

Village back. So, if I read you right the black wire from the motor assembly goes to one black wire on switch and the white wire from motor goes to the light bundle as well as the other wire from the switch.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Village back. So, if I read you right the black wire from the motor assembly goes to one black wire on switch and the white wire from motor goes to the light bundle as well as the other wire from the switch.
NO that is not what we are saying. You said you had a replacement pull chain switch for the lights. Is this switch the only switch (one pull chain operates fan and lights) or two pull chain switches?

Stubbie
Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #6

Two pull chain switches, one for lights and one for fan. The fan works and all I see coming out of the base where the light assembly hooks up are two wires, one white and one black.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Two pull chain switches, one for lights and one for fan. The fan works and all I see coming out of the base where the light assembly hooks up are two wires, one white and one black.
The new switch should have two blacks .. connect one black into the wire nut with the black wire from motor pull chain switch that is incoming power . This will take incoming power to the new light switch. Take the other black wire (it doesn't matter which) and connect it to the black going to your light. This completes the switch wiring. Take the white from light and connect it to the white coming in from house power, should also have the white from the fan motor in that wire nut also.

Stubbie
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

Wiring Fan Light

Final post from village idiot. Still confused, please simplify. I have the two wires (Black and White) coming down the center post of the fan assembly. I have three light brackets and each has a black and a white wire (6 wires) I assumed that if I bundled these and added the white wire from the center of the fan and then added a black wire from the switch while combining the black wire from the center of motor assembly to the other black from the switch all would be well (well DUH) it ain't. As we say again down South HEP.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #9

I lied. Here is where I went wrong (I believe). The hot wire goes to one side of the switch, the black wires from the light sockets are combined with the black wire out of the switch, and the white wires from the sockets are combined with the white wire coming down through the center of the fan (next to the black hot wire).
Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #10

Ceiling Fan Light Switch

She Lives. took a wire stripper and smoothed and cut a little more off, wound bundles tight, used new wire nuts, reconnected and Voila, we have light. Thanks for all the patience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement