Ceiling Fan Installation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling fan installation

I decided to replace an existing light fixture in my kitchen with a ceiling fan. Before starting the work I killed the breaker for that light which killed other outlets in the kitchen, including the outlet that my microwave is plugged into.

When I pulled down the light fixture, it was using a single black wire, single white wire and ground. I connected the fan to these same wires per the instruction, flipped the breaker back on (and noted that everything else came back on, including the microwave), but the fan nor the attached light kit would not work. As a test I turned the breaker off, connected the original light back up to the same wires, flipped the breaker back on, noted that the microwave came back on, but the light would no longer work.

I pulled the light back off and noticed that there was 3-4 black wires stranded together with a wire nut, and 3-4 white wires stranded together with a wire nut, both of which were pushed up into the jbox in the ceiling. I connected the ceiling fan to these wires instead, and it works great; both the fan and light kit work. I can no longer use the light switch that I was using to control the original light (which I expected and am ok with since I installed a wireless remote with the fan as well).

Everything else that was killed when the breaker was off works fine, except for the microwave. Using my tester I verified that there is no power getting to the receptacle that the microwave is using. I tried replacing the receptacle but no luck. I am at a loss; is it possible I knocked something loose in the junction box in the ceiling?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the long post!
seanf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

Update

Through trial and error I noticed that if I disconnect the ceiling fan from the 3 black wires that were stranded together (and just leave the 3 wires with a wire nut), the microwave now works. As another test I disconnected one of the 3 wires and left just two connected with a wire nut. Microwave works, but the other kitchen light stopped working. It almost seems like one of the black wires are hot and the others are dead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It would help if we had a better idea of exactly how many wires are coming into the receptacle for the light, i.e. is there 3 wires each carrying a black and a white?

Is your ceiling light (or fan) controlled by a single light switch? A three way light switch?

Finally, is there black tape or black paint on any of the white wires in the receptacle?

---
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Correct, four wires are coming into the junction box in the ceiling, each carrying a white, black and green.

The ceiling fan was connected so that it was operated by the pull switch for both the light and fan.

I do not see any white or black paint\tape on the wires
Old 05-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #5

Alright, that makes it somewhat simpler. So assuming there is no wall switch for the light (and never has been), then:

All the blacks coming into the receptacle should be connected immediately to each other as well as a short black wire which you will use to connect to the fixture. The same for all the whites with a short white wire. The same for the greens (plus connecting to the ground screw in the receptacle) with a short green wire.

Then the short white wire is connected to the fan's white, the black and blue of the fan are connected to the short black wire, and the green to the green. That being said, this sounds like what you had already done. If this doesn't work, then either the connections are bad, or in the processing of the installation, a wire may have been pulled or damaged somewhere outside of the electrical box.

How old is the house's electrical?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #6

Sorry, just reread your post. There is a light switch. That could be an issue. When running a switch, if the power goes to the receptacle with the fixture first, then usually the white and black running to the switch are reversed (white is hot, black is neutral) and the white would be taped or painted black, although not all DIY'ers paint/tape the white. If that were the case, then the black and white you saw when you first connected might have been reversed, in which case you were actually connecting the white of the fan to the hot wire.

Since you are taking the switch out of the equation with wiring all the blacks and whites together directly, that shouldn't be a potential problem anymore.

Nevertheless, if it were me, since this seems to be a tricky problem. I would open up that light switch and connect the black to the white directly (take the switch out of the equation because it is possibly it is the problem).
Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
When running a switch, if the power goes to the receptacle with the fixture first, then usually the white and black running to the switch are reversed (white is hot, black is neutral) and the white would be taped or painted black, although not all DIY'ers paint/tape the white. If that were the case, then the black and white you saw when you first connected might have been reversed, in which case you were actually connecting the white of the fan to the hot wire.
Correction, in a switch loop, which is described above, the white is the constant power to the switch. The black is the switched hot, not a neutral.

Last edited by Jim Port; 05-31-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #8

Thanks for the correction Jim, I should learn how to say things properly/correctly (that's what the wife tells me anyway).
Old 05-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #9

Problem solved

Problem solved, thanks to Troglodyte's first post. I don't think I was getting a good contact when I tied everything together with the wire nut. Upon further inspection I noticed that one of the 4 black was a little loose. Once I tightened everything back, all worked perfectly

Thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement