Cat6 Cables Through 1? ENT Smurf Tube - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Cat6 cables through 1? ENT Smurf tube

How many cat6 cables Can I safely run thru 1? ent? I read somewhere that 8 is max. Is that correct?

I want to have enough for expansion and I have a 500 foot roll of 23gauge cat6.

I ran 2 tubes in the wall. Debating on running a third.

I will be using 1 hdmi over cat6 adapter for the hdmi from the receiver to tv. This adapter will use 2 cat6 cables. I am also going to use a cat6 for an ir extender for my remotes. I might get a usb over cat6 extender too.

I will also run a pair of coaxial cables. And a speaker cable for my center channel.

I think 2 smurf tubes should be enough as I will have a bunch of extra cat6 cables in there already.

What do you guys think?
veeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 168

Re: Cat6 cables through 1? ENT Smurf tube

I think your fine with what you have. Why did you run it in conduit anyway? you would of been fine running it without conduit. I do it every time without issues. Only reason is to protect the cable from nails and screws.

While your walls are out, why not just buy a HDMI cable to length? 25 ft from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...202505011&th=1) is 15.99. I bought this and worked out perfectly.

The price of HDMI probably will cost you the same for a good cat6 converter.

Last edited by bklynsoulja; 11-03-2017 at 11:08 PM.
bklynsoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,322

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeps View Post
How many cat6 cables Can I safely run thru 1? ent? I read somewhere that 8 is max.
You may fit 8 BUT
it is not a good idea to go anywhere near the maximum possible, because of the difficulties in drawing cables around bends.

Quote:

I will be using 1 hdmi over cat6 adapter for the hdmi from the receiver to tv. This adapter will use 2 cat6 cables. I am also going to use a cat6 for an ir extender for my remotes. I might get a usb over cat6 extender too.

I will also run a pair of coaxial cables. And a speaker cable for my center channel.
If you intend to use a pair of devices like these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Over-R...8AAOSwTM5YvRW4)
I would suggest that you do not !

Apart from the fact that they use 2 cat6 cables, I have had a pair if these fail and, at the same time, take out the HDMI output stage of the Splitter to which they were connected !

Devices such as these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDV-E50C-50....c100506.m3226)
do cost more BUT can transmit over one cat6 and include the ability to transmit the signal from the remotes.
(They also act as a "splitter" to supply a HDMI signal to a "Local" display - which is what I needed but you may not.)

Before you go any further with your project I suggest that you consider "Structured Cabling" for your home.

Many articles on the Web make Structured Cabling seem suitable only for large organisations but, with your current needs and possible future needs, you should consider it. Initially, the cost will be somewhat more but you are likely to have fewer problems (and costs) if/when the time comes to add additional "equipment".

The following article discusses this and, although it is written for Australian conditions, it is largely applicable to North America - and the rest of the world.
(http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/structured_home_cabling)
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrodoOne For This Useful Post:
Blue Marjan (11-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 06:01 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,100

I advocate the use of conduit for these runs, mainly due to future degradation and expansion. Face it, it hasn't been that long since RG6 was popular to run cable signals. The advent of HDMI is overwhelmingly popular, and having an adequately sized conduit makes it much easier to upgrade. You can even use your old cables as pull lines. I do recommend leaving a pull line in place whenever possible "just in case". Pushing cables is not much fun.
bklynsoulja likes this.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynsoulja View Post
I think your fine with what you have. Why did you run it in conduit anyway? you would of been fine running it without conduit. I do it every time without issues. Only reason is to protect the cable from nails and screws.

While your walls are out, why not just buy a HDMI cable to length? 25 ft from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...202505011&th=1) is 15.99. I bought this and worked out perfectly.

The price of HDMI probably will cost you the same for a good cat6 converter.

Conduit because I was putting in a conduit for future pulls so I might as well for the cat6. I didnít want to just put an HDM I in there because if the HDMI got damaged there is almost no way Iíd be able to pull it out to replace it easily.
veeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 168

Quote:
Conduit because I was putting in a conduit for future pulls so I might as well for the cat6. I didnít want to just put an HDM I in there because if the HDMI got damaged there is almost no way Iíd be able to pull it out to replace it easily.
i would put the HDMI outside of the conduit, get a spade bit and bore a hole to each stud. If you want some piece of mind, just get some metal plate stud protectors and put it along the wire so no screws can penetrate it.
bklynsoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,100

Or use large enough pvc conduit instead of smurf. I have run 1 1/2" conduit from side of fireplace to over the mantel with plenty of room for HDMI and other cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement