Capping Off Light Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

capping off light switch

i capped off a light switch that runs hall lights there are 3 switches in different places that run the same lights i capped 1 switch off and now the light won'y work why? there are 2 red wires and 2 black wires attched to the switch and i capped each on individually.
intimidator1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Electrician 30 yrs +

wire nut the two red wires together and wire nut the two black wires together. see if it works then!
huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,800

All three switches were interconnected in a special way (a 4 way switch setup).

I'm xxxxxxxx Can you describe how the wires are grouped (cables they come from) in the back of the box? Can you describe how they used to be on the old switch with pointing out such features as screws darker colored or lettering/markings on the back of the switch?

I'm quite sure what you need is connect one wire from one cable to one wire of the other cable, then connect the other wire of one cable to the other wire of the other cable.

As a reminder, the box may not be plastered over but rather must have an exposed blank cover put on it after the switch is gone.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-05-2010 at 05:08 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #4

2 black wires

I had the same problem...I have a 2 way (2 seperate switches truns the light on or off) and I wanted to no longer use one of them. I capped the wires individually and the light did not work.

What worked: There were 4 wires, 2 black one red and one had no insulation. I twisted the 2 black wires together then capped it. I left the red one and the no insultaion one capped as well. The light works no probs now.

I guess in your case, you could try the same.
Andrew DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement