This Can't Be Good... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

This can't be good...

The attached picture is from an area under part of my house. I'm assuming this space would be classified as a crawl space---part of it is about 7' from dirt floor to joists (the rest is only about 18"), it's open on both ends, and I actually use it as a mini workshop/storage area. Note the exposed romex, looped around the conduit. For some reason, I'd never noticed that before. Anyways, I'm thinking this can't be good. Since I'm currently remodeling a bathroom above, I have access where the romex enters the house, which means that now is the time to do it right. So, what is the right way to do this (taking into consideration that rodents are always a potential problem here)? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
This can't be good...-temp.jpg  
Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Having the cable just wrapped around the conduit like that isn't to code, but it actually appears to practically be fine. Cable needs to be mechanically fastened to the joist at least every 4' (I think it is 4', could be wrong by a little) of straight run like that. However, it looks like your cable is looped around and actually attached to the conduit with some kind of thin metal twist tie looking thing, no? The right answer is to use wire staples to fasten the cable to the joist. But if you didn't want to bother fastening it, you're likely fine as it looks like your cable is attached relatively well to the conduit, and assuming the conduit is attached and sturdy, you can get away with that if you're not getting it inspected.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Inspector/Instructor

NEC states
334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed
cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties,
straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so
as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m
(4
1/2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box,
junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be
stapled on edge.
Sections of cable protected from physical damage by
raceway shall not be required to be secured within the
raceway.
(A) Hoirizontal Runs Through Holes and Notches. In
other than vertical runs, cables installed in accordance with
300.4 shall be considered to be supported and secured
where such support does not exceed 1.4-m (4.5-ft) intervals
and the nonmetallic-sheathed cable is securely fastened in
place by an approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of
each box, cabinet, conduit body, or other nonmetallicsheathed
cable termination.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpanko View Post
Having the cable just wrapped around the conduit like that isn't to code, but it actually appears to practically be fine. Cable needs to be mechanically fastened to the joist at least every 4' (I think it is 4', could be wrong by a little) of straight run like that. However, it looks like your cable is looped around and actually attached to the conduit with some kind of thin metal twist tie looking thing, no? The right answer is to use wire staples to fasten the cable to the joist. But if you didn't want to bother fastening it, you're likely fine as it looks like your cable is attached relatively well to the conduit, and assuming the conduit is attached and sturdy, you can get away with that if you're not getting it inspected.
OK, thanks. Yes, the conduit there is pretty sturdy.

I have seen a lot of rodent damage inside the house (previous owner let them get into the walls, etc.), including some chewed up romex. That makes me a little nervous about leaving it so exposed in this case, so might there be an easy way to protect it a bit more? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Inspector/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpanko View Post
you can get away with that if you're not getting it inspected.
Never try to just get away with anything when you are doing electrical work. Your life and your families lives are at stake not to mention your property. Always find the right way to do the job. If permits are required for electrical work in your area always get them, it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes look at what your doing for safety!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,698

Quote:
I have seen a lot of rodent damage inside the house (previous owner let them get into the walls, etc.), including some chewed up romex. That makes me a little nervous about leaving it so exposed in this case, so might there be an easy way to protect it a bit more?
Ayuh,.... Get rid of the mice or rats...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Inspector/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
And seal all openings, holes and cracks in and around home. Called rodent proffing.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

My last house I killed 14 mice in the 1st 6 months with traps
Pull down stairs to the attic...set 2 traps (peanut butter)...fold up ladder....shut the hatch
...SNAP.......

One dead mouse....reset trap

I keep traps set at this house all the time, pool has killed, more then me
In 6+ years I have killed maybe 6 all together
I even set them out in my pool cabana
Here mice = fleas

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
The house has been rodent proofed---I spent the first 6 months we lived here doing nothing but. However, getting rid of the rodents in the vicinity is impossible since we're in the middle of the woods with abundant food supply (acorns, etc) everywhere. So, the crawl space is always going to be visited by the nasty beasts and my questions remains: is there some easy way to protect this bare romex? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeone View Post
Never try to just get away with anything when you are doing electrical work. Your life and your families lives are at stake not to mention your property. Always find the right way to do the job. If permits are required for electrical work in your area always get them, it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes look at what your doing for safety!
Good advice, no doubt, but not a realistic option where I live. Unfortunately, if I were to invite the county inspector in, I'd undoubtedly have nothing but headaches for years to come. This is based on many neighbors' experiences. For some reason the inspectors are the enemy, and the feeling seems to be mutual. I have no idea how this happened, since I've only been here a couple years, but that's the way it is.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Inspector/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
. Unfortunately, if I were to invite the county inspector in, I'd undoubtedly have nothing but headaches for years to come. This is based on many neighbors' experiences. For some reason the inspectors are the enemy.
That is regretable, and does not speak well of the inspectors, they should be there to help not harm! In our area they are Sworn Officers of the Court and therefore Public Servants, now thats not to say that some dont take the Officer part to far, they are supposed to be there to help and protect life safety, working with the public. Most in our area try to do a good job without lording it over the public, espically a homeowner, contractors if they are good should know what there doing!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

To get back to your question. You can go to Home Depot and buy a 1/2" diameter, 10 foot long piece of plastic flexible conduit (smurf tube - it's the color of the cartoon character smurfs) and a couple 1/2" rigid one hole straps to secure it to the wood above. You'll probably need one male connector for connecting tubing to the metal box. Hope that helps. good luck.
proelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement