Can Light Installation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Can light installation

Hi guys,

I want to install some can lights in my basement (nailed to the bottom of the floor joists) and I plan to install 12" ceiling tiles that are stapled to 1 x 3 furring strips. Are the can lights usually set up to accomodate the larger ceiling thickness? If the lights are mounted to the bottom of the joists and then you have 3/4" thick furring strips in addition to the thickness of the tiles themselves you're looking at about 1 1/4" difference from the bottom of the joists to the finished surface. Can I use can lighting and these tiles for my basement?
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Usually the cans are setup to have 1/2" or 5/8" drywall installed over them. I'm not sure if you can find high hats with adjustable depth or not. Maybe you can install the high hats to the sides of the furring strips instead of the joists? It might take some bending and screwing of the brackets, but it should work.
Shrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Electrician 30 yrs +

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
Hi guys,

I want to install some can lights in my basement (nailed to the bottom of the floor joists) and I plan to install 12" ceiling tiles that are stapled to 1 x 3 furring strips. Are the can lights usually set up to accomodate the larger ceiling thickness? If the lights are mounted to the bottom of the joists and then you have 3/4" thick furring strips in addition to the thickness of the tiles themselves you're looking at about 1 1/4" difference from the bottom of the joists to the finished surface. Can I use can lighting and these tiles for my basement?

Most can lights are adjustable. The housing have set screw in the sides of the can for adjustment up or down.Good idea to nail them to the furring strips you might need the clearance too.

Huck
huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

Take your new can fixtures, loosen the height adjustment screws to see how much is the adjustment range.

If the range is not enough to accommodate your furring strips then mount the new cans to short furring strip spacers.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks guys for all the help!
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement