Can A Apartment Duplex's Ground Wire Feed Off The Neighbors Ground Wire? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 101

Can a apartment duplex's ground wire feed off the neighbors ground wire?

I live in a duplex and my main breaker box is grounded. My neighbor's main breaker box (which is right next to my main breaker box) is NOT grounded. Obviously there are two electrical meters, therefore we have our own electrical bill.

Is it legal for them to run a ground wire from my main breaker box to his main breaker box so he will have a ground?

Obviously this is the easiest way to do it since both of the breaker boxes are side by side. That would take minutes to do. The other way is for him to run his own ground wire to his own ground rod. That would take hours.

thanks in advance!!

Last edited by stanlam; 12-20-2015 at 12:43 PM.
stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,832

Whats wrong with it now?
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump-start View Post
Whats wrong with it now?
I guess there is nothing technically wrong with their electrical since it works fine.

However, to answer your question, it's just because their main breaker box is NOT grounded. I think the electrician that put in their breaker box must of forgot to ground their breaker box.

Last edited by stanlam; 12-20-2015 at 01:12 PM.
stanlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlam View Post
I guess there is nothing technically wrong with their electrical since it works fine.

However, to answer your question, it's just because their main breaker box is NOT grounded. I think the electrician that put in their breaker box must of forgot to ground their breaker box.

Per code the electrician should have looped the GEC into you neighbors panel, but from a safety and operations standpoint their is really no worry.
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,084

Quote:
I live in a duplex and my main breaker box is grounded. My neighbor's main breaker box (which is right next to my main breaker box) is NOT grounded. Obviously there are two electrical meters, therefore we have our own electrical bill.

Is it legal for them to run a ground wire from my main breaker box to his main breaker box so he will have a ground?

Obviously this is the easiest way to do it since both of the breaker boxes are side by side. That would take minutes to do. The other way is for him to run his own ground wire to his own ground rod. That would take hours.

thanks in advance!!
I am guessing that there is only one service drop to this house and that is split between two meters. In that case one grounding electrode conductor is all that is needed as long as everything is bonded together. Take the covers off and see if you can follow the grounding conductor.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
ER2

Rewards Points: 70

Quote:

The only place your system should be grounded is at the service entry point. What makes you think it's not grounded? I assume you mean bonded.
ER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ER2 For This Useful Post:
Jump-start (12-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement