Burying Lines, Granite Below Surface - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

burying lines, granite below surface

Im building on a hilside lot, good news is there is firm foundation. As an owner builder i personally will need to learn what options i have for power/water lines from street to pad. It's about 100 feet and i think rock is encountered in 6" to a foot typically... this makes me cry thinking of code requiring maybe 22". Is there some casing that is an alternate to the burial? Can you "build up" a mound verses dig down?
nppx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

So far as I know there is no universal code governing power company (POCO) installation to your house. You don't state where you live, so none of us can possibly have any idea what the controlling rules are. Additionally, it sounds like you may be in a subdivision with specific covenants regarding power installation.

I suggest you discuss this issue with the power company, the local electrical inspector, and perhaps the building committee for your subdivision.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #3

i live in arizona, the lot is in Scottsdale, I am exempt from any HOA and subject to rules of Maricopa County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #4

Using google all i can find are exceptions related to road work where variences are permitted if rock is encountered.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

I suspect this is a common problem anywhere there is rock not far below the surface. Due to that, I suspect the POCO would be the place to talk to about how they do it in your area.

the only thing I know of the code allows is if you put the conductors in rigid or intermediate metal conduit. If using 2" of concrete, you can bury the conduit 4" deep in the dirt below the concrete. If using 4" minimum of concrete, you can basically just set the conduit level with the dirt and pour concrete over it. You cannot use this for vehicular traffic.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement