DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

breaker panel

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  clw1963 
#1 ·
I'm remodeling my basement bathroom and need to put in two new 15A breakers to complete my electrical needs. In order to fish the new wires to my breaker panel, which some wise-guy located in a finished bedroom closet, I need to remove my breaker panel and drill through to my utility room. My question is, how do I de-energize the breaker panel so that I can move it completely out of the cubby hole it is in now? I know I can switch off the main power coming into the house, but is this enough? Do I have to call the electric company to shut 'er down while I remove the panel, drill and fish, and reinstall? It is necessary for me to remove all breaker wires, etc. so that I can move the box... so what should I do with the hot wire coming in? Thanks!

G
#2 ·
Shutting off the main should do it, or pull the meter. Make sure to check for voltage with a voltmeter. Sounds like a job for a pro. He might find a way to add the circuit(s) without removing the panel. When in doubt, it is always cheaper to hire a pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.