Breaker Intercept? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 3 Post By joed

Old 03-17-2019, 01:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Breaker Intercept?

Hello. I have a garage that is separate from the house. The power cable run to the garage by the previous residents decades ago allows only a 20 amp capacity. Therefore, I occasionally run too much equipment in the garage and the breaker flips, and I have to walk over to the house, access the breaker box and flip the breaker back on.

I know the long term solution is to run a higher capacity cable to the garage, etc. but until I'm ready for that project I'm wondering if I can install a small breaker box in the garage, also with a 20 amp breaker, such that that breaker will flip rather than the one in the house? In other words, with two 20 amp breakers on the line will the one nearer to the power consumption flip rather than the more distant one?

If this idea isn't viable is there some other short-term solution I can use to avoid that occasional walk to the house when the breaker flips?
d19jordan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 02:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 354

Re: Breaker Intercept?

You can do it, but it's luck of the draw on which one trips, The one nearest the power consumption wont necessarily trip first, no. If you can get by with it, you can put a 15 amp breaker in the garage panel, then that will trip first in an overload situation....in case of a short, it'll still just be luck of the draw.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 04:45 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,722

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
jhil likes this.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
wNCmountainCabin

Rewards Points: 204

or this 20amp version:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-IS2/301975746

or, if you 're not worried about code, change the existing 20amp breaker out for a higher one, which will cause the new garage breaker to trip first, since you've now effectively added the same 20amp protection closer to the source of the draw.
better yet, put the 'old' 20amp breaker in the garage sub-panel, and a new 20amp breaker in the place of the old... older breakers tend to trip first.

Last edited by NCmountainCabin; 03-17-2019 at 08:48 AM.
NCmountainCabin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmountainCabin View Post
or this 20amp version:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-IS2/301975746

or, if you 're not worried about code, change the existing 20amp breaker out for a higher one, which will cause the new garage breaker to trip first, since you've now effectively added the same 20amp protection closer to the source of the draw.
better yet, put the 'old' 20amp breaker in the garage sub-panel, and a new 20amp breaker in the place of the old... older breakers tend to trip first.
DO NOT do this. This site never recommends doing things against code especially if they can cause a fire etc.

Manage your loads.
Install a larger feed to the garage with sub panel.
or keep resetting the breaker.
rjniles, Oso954 and ktownskier like this.

Last edited by joed; 03-19-2019 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 530

putting a breaker bigger than the wire is a big NO NO!the nes 20 amp breaker would be feasible , but it's anyones guess which will trip first. i would do what JOED said. better safe than sorry!
circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 134

Is your 20 amp circuit dedicated to just your garage? Or does it feed receptacles in the house/yard? If the circuit feeds other receptacles are those receptacles in use while you are working in the garage? Maybe move that draw to another circuit and try to use your garage circuit for just the garage? Maybe you'll get fewer trips that way
schreibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
breaker , overload