Brain Scratcher About How Much Electric Supply I Need??? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Brain scratcher about how much electric supply I need???

... its probably not a brain scratcher, and straight forward question for you electricians...

I am filling out a form for energy requirements, I am stuck on the question below:

What are your power requirements? This question can be answered in either kVA or kilowatts. (4 amps = 1 kilowatt. 1 kilowatt = 1.1kVA).

Proposed kVA: Proposed kilowatts: ????? _______

I will be making a small mechanics/workshop... with 4 double sockets and 2 lights. Their will be drills, and other bits of machinery used necessary for the purpose of fixing cars.

So the question is... how much KVA/ kilowatts do I need for the above usage as I need to put in a new supply.

pls plsss help !!!
shabba1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Is this for a sub-panel, new service feed to a shop...?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,660

Those sound like questions that would be asked before a new service is installed to allow for the POCO to calculate if infrastructure upgrades are needed.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Where are you located ?

Is this for a sub-panel, new service feed to a shop...?
I am located on a piece of land suitable for a garage in a residential area, for personal usage, here I shall use the space fixing cars.

This is not a shop, just personal usage... does anyone have any idea of power I would need? ... I don't need to contact no panel I thought it was just fairly straight forward question for sparky's...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Those sound like questions that would be asked before a new service is installed to allow for the POCO to calculate if infrastructure upgrades are needed.
the service provider told me to calculate it, I just need a rough estimate and he/she will come out to access within 10 days on site. It is just a rough estimate... anyone have any ideas???

please no further comments regarding me having to get someone to tell me, only helpful rough estimates to put down on a simple form thanks lol
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #6

WHERE are you located ?

US, Canada, Europe..... Siberia ?

You don't need a breaker panel ? Doesn't even sound like you know what one is ?
You will only have (1) circuit ?
What tools will you be using ?
Heat AC ?

You can't simply pull a number out of the air

Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,660

Except for an unhelpful and ungrateful attitude you have given no hard information to use.

If this is a residential garage you would feed it from the panel in the house. There should be no need to involve the power company.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Except for an unhelpful and ungrateful attitude you have given no hard information to use.

If this is a residential garage you would feed it from the panel in the house. There should be no need to involve the power company.
Ermm... where am I meant to get the power supply from ....

as I said before " it is a piece of land" it has NO other properties on it, just simply all I need to know is the question I have posted... a normal standard amount of energy needed for a NEW BUILD GARAGE WITH NO OTHER PROPERTIES OR ANYTHING ON...

I need to involve the power company to get an electric supply from the main power supply to my shed ahh, i guess you lot don't know... its ok, lol close this thread I knew I would get this health and safety, go and do xy and z response.. please in the future would people replying to my thread answer the question, or not tell me stuff I already know
Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
WHERE are you located ?

US, Canada, Europe..... Siberia ?

You don't need a breaker panel ? Doesn't even sound like you know what one is ?
You will only have (1) circuit ?
What tools will you be using ?
Heat AC ?

You can't simply pull a number out of the air
Its better to have 1 circuit for all sockets so yes, 1 circuit, tools... electric screw driver, electric tape, lol ... look all I want to know is my question, the work will be carried out by the electric company "who can not comment on what electric amp I would like" i.e. can not direct me

i am in uk
Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #10

1 circuit in the US is limited to one 20a 2400w circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabba1985 View Post
as I said before " it is a piece of land" it has NO other properties on it, just simply all I need to know is the question I have posted... a normal standard amount of energy needed for a NEW BUILD GARAGE WITH NO OTHER PROPERTIES OR ANYTHING ON...
Thre is NO "normal" STANDARD amount of energy
It is based on the anticipated Loads

Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabba1985 View Post
....... ahh, i guess you lot don't know... its ok, lol close this thread I knew I would get this health and safety, go and do xy and z response.. please in the future would people replying to my thread answer the question, or not tell me stuff I already know
So sorry to get you mad.

You are simply another poster who poses a vague question, and when you are not given the information you demand you get all huffy. Sorry that the very capable members here are not mind readers. If someone asks you where you are, the reply "a piece of land" is an arrogant attempt at being intentionally vague. The question was absolutely valid as someone from the US CANNOT answer your questions accurately without knowing the codes and rules in your area.

Next time why not just ask a question, and tell us exactly what you want to hear. Things will go much smoother that way.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

for a little background, all responders might want to check the posters history.

shabba, your questions are not typical for do it yourselfers. Since you are working on a new building, for a similar situation the power company requires a load calculation based on the proposed machinery/power uses. In your situation, the requirements are so small that, again, here in the states, a 100 amp service would be set as that is the smallest service allowed.

But above all else, you must understand the UK rules don't apply here and US rules don't apply there so you may be required to submit information not generally considered here.

we do have a member that hails from France (a good portion of the time) and may be able to give you a bit more direction as he may understand the purpose of the information and understand how critical it is or isn't to what you are doing.

I'll PM him and hopefully he can add something to help you.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Thanks Nap for waking me up .,

Now let address to the OP situation the UK have different requirement than what the North Americian system requirement is.

Shabba1985.,

I will not pull a funny stunt like this but you have to understand the UK power compaine will check your load demand from your house { if exsting } plus addtional new loads and I will qoute the worst case situation and I know some bit of UK codes and you will need 20 amp circuit and it will be mantory RCD unless you plan to bring triphase supply to garage { I have see it quite few time } then it will change the number a bit.

So baiscally you will need minuim of 4 KW load on the list.
But beforewarn check with UK regulations what they will allow minuim size for your garage.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
for a little background, all responders might want to check the posters history.
Yeah...I did that

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

Quote:
If you install a flux capacitor do you even need the power company?
man, you guys are just mean....

but even with a flux capacitor, you still need a power source. If you recall, on Back to the Future, the doc had that Mr. Fusion nuclear reactor.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement