Bore Allowed In 2x4 Column (under Beam) For Romex? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Bore allowed in 2x4 column (under beam) for romex?

I'm working on a plan to do electrical rough-in in a remodel and realized that it would be very convenient to bore a smallish (maybe only 1/2" - 5/8") hole in a set of tripled 2x4s under an LVL beam (thus making them a column, I assume).

I've read of course about being able to do a 40% bore on regular load bearing studs, but columns are not studs, and I've read that it's "not recommended" to bore them. I'll of course look at alternate routes, but I was wondering how common it is for people to pass inspections with smaller holes (not for DWV or pipes, etc., but just for romex) bored in regular columns, or even just king stud / jack studs around windows, e.g. (technically also a column, I gather).

Any advice on this, or could someone point me to relevant codes? I'm having a lot of trouble finding an authoritative source saying anything other than "not recommended" (which implies to me that it *can* be done, with certain restrictions, or maybe something like a Simpson stud shoe ).

Thanks.
tgice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Consult with your building engineer on this. This type of information can not be found within the National Electrical Code.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
Stubbie (02-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
Consult with your building engineer on this. This type of information can not be found within the National Electrical Code.
Okay, but what about boring holes for romex through king/jack studs underneath a window (either to put an outlet there or just pass through that way to the next outlet)?

I'm not asking what the NEC says about this, I'm asking what standard practice says and whether there are any relevant codes.

I can understand that going through a column would not be something you'd hit every day, but going under a window has to be an often-encountered situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,396

column stud king jack cripple saddle sill header...........

What are you going to do???
Drill away !

You can also google.......where to "safely" drill joists, studs, framing members.............

Last edited by ritelec; 02-17-2014 at 03:24 PM.
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
column stud king jack cripple saddle sill header...........

What are you going to do???
Drill away !

You can also google.......where to "safely" drill joists, studs, framing members.............
Heh. Yes, I've already looked up the common references that talk about 40% max hole diameter in a load bearing stud, and related rules for joist boring -- this question specifically pertains to how this may change (be disallowed altogether or reduce to small maximum hole sizes) for jack/king studs and other columns.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,396

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgice View Post
Heh. Yes, I've already looked up the common references that talk about 40% max hole diameter in a load bearing stud, and related rules for joist boring -- this question specifically pertains to how this may change (be disallowed altogether or reduce to small maximum hole sizes) for jack/king studs and other columns.
Did you find "anything" about those reductions?
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bore , boring , column , drilling , romex