Best Way To Route Power Feed To Pyramid Range Hood - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By jhil
  • 1 Post By MrElectricianTV
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By jbfan

Old 03-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 66
Cool

Best way to route power feed to pyramid range hood

Hi guys,

I'm building a new kitchen in my existing home using a wall-mounted pyramid range hood. The plenum cover will extend to the ceiling. I've installed all required support blocking and am about to sheetrock the wall but first need to identify how the electrical cable (MC cable) will be routed to the hood. The unit will be on its own dedicated AFCI circuit breaker per the manufacturer's instructions. The knockout faces up on the left side and will be about 2 feet from the ceiling.

Currently I have the cable fed through the top plate on the wrong (right-hand) side, because I roughed it in before choosing the hood, so I need to reroute it.

What's the most efficient way to do this that will cause the least aggravation for myself or future owners?

1. Install a junction box in the wall that will be accessible behind the faux plenum cover, next to the ductwork, and connect a short run of Romex cable via a knockout cover plate.
2. Install a junction box in the ceiling directly above the hood, also hidden behind the plenum cover, and run cable straight down using a knockout cover plate.
3. Run the feed cable directly through a hole in the ceiling drywall (fire caulked) to the hood's built-in junction box.
4. Feed the cable through the wall top plate, then out through the wall, and connect to the hood's knockout directly.

They all seem like they would work and are nearly functionally equivalent, but this is my first go at this. Generally I favor having fewer splices, but I don't want to cut corners and create headaches for someone else down the road. Any comments on which approach is best?

With #3 and #4, I would probably leave a bit of extra cable in the attic to accommodate future changes without having to pull a new home-run or place junction boxes in the attic.

Thank you!

A.

Best way to route power feed to pyramid range hood-screen-shot-2019-03-03-11.20.20-am.png
ablodneyget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 170

Re: Best way to route power feed to pyramid range hood

You can not hide a junction box behind anything.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Hi Nealtw,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
You can not hide a junction box behind anything.
You can't hide a junction box such that building finishes have to be removed, such as within a wall. It is not true that you cannot hide a junction box behind anything. If it were against code to hide a junction box behind anything, then refrigerator and electric range outlets would not be permitted behind the appliances. What I am proposing would be fully accessible when the cover is removed.
314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclo- sures to Be Accessible. Boxes, conduit bodies, and hand- hole enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring con- tained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or structure
"Accessible" is defined at the beginning of Article 100:
NEC 2014 article 100: Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.
Note that accessible is not the same as readily accessible which means without the use of tools.

The range hood metal cover is part of the hood and is easily removable. I certainly would not hide a junction box behind a building finish or in any other way render it inaccessible--I have had to deal with enough of that crap from previous owners as it is!

Another way to pose the question: Is there a particular reason why ceiling vs wall cable entry is preferable in a kitchen, or is an (accessible) junction box more common or otherwise better?

They all seem nearly equivalent so I'm inclined to poke straight through the ceiling with the cable once the rock is up, just to minimize the number of extra connections.

Last edited by ablodneyget; 03-03-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
retired framer

@ablodneyget If it stops working and is checked by a electrician, will he know to remove that part to access the junction box. Outlets behind fridges and stoves are a known quantity.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
@ablodneyget If it stops working and is checked by a electrician, will he know to remove that part to access the junction box. Outlets behind fridges and stoves are a known quantity.
Yes. The plenum cover would need to be removed to inspect the unit's connections as you would need to during installation. With that cover removed, the ceiling or wall cover plate would be fully visible and not tucked behind anything else.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablodneyget View Post
Yes. The plenum cover would need to be removed to inspect the unit's connections as you would need to during installation. With that cover removed, the ceiling or wall cover plate would be fully visible and not tucked behind anything else.
Then I would keep it in the wall, worst case would be a fire started there, you want to protect the floor or ceiling above as long as you can so containing it in a wall is better. Others may have opinions on splices in a dedicated line??
Old 03-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,778

Curious, looks like a large hood, what is it's cfm rating?

Bud
Old 03-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 432

Bring the wire through the top plate and into the correct stud cavity, leave a loop in the wall that you can access after the drywall is up. When you're ready to set the hood, cut a small hole you can put your hand in and access the wire. No splice and easy to do. Hole will be hidden by vent cover.
J. V. and ablodneyget like this.
jhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablodneyget View Post
Hi guys,

I'm building a new kitchen in my existing home using a wall-mounted pyramid range hood. The plenum cover will extend to the ceiling. I've installed all required support blocking and am about to sheetrock the wall but first need to identify how the electrical cable (MC cable) will be routed to the hood. The unit will be on its own dedicated AFCI circuit breaker per the manufacturer's instructions. The knockout faces up on the left side and will be about 2 feet from the ceiling.

Currently I have the cable fed through the top plate on the wrong (right-hand) side, because I roughed it in before choosing the hood, so I need to reroute it.

What's the most efficient way to do this that will cause the least aggravation for myself or future owners?

1. Install a junction box in the wall that will be accessible behind the faux plenum cover, next to the ductwork, and connect a short run of Romex cable via a knockout cover plate.
2. Install a junction box in the ceiling directly above the hood, also hidden behind the plenum cover, and run cable straight down using a knockout cover plate.
3. Run the feed cable directly through a hole in the ceiling drywall (fire caulked) to the hood's built-in junction box.
4. Feed the cable through the wall top plate, then out through the wall, and connect to the hood's knockout directly.

They all seem like they would work and are nearly functionally equivalent, but this is my first go at this. Generally I favor having fewer splices, but I don't want to cut corners and create headaches for someone else down the road. Any comments on which approach is best?

With #3 and #4, I would probably leave a bit of extra cable in the attic to accommodate future changes without having to pull a new home-run or place junction boxes in the attic.

Thank you!

A.

Attachment 552059
I like number 3. No junction box to find later, no extra splices. Leaving some extra cable in the attic is not a bad idea, just strap it down properly.
ablodneyget likes this.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Curious, looks like a large hood, what is it's cfm rating?

Bud
Bud,

It's a Zephyr Venezia hood with a maximum rating of 715 cfm that can be derated at installation to 290, 390, or 590. I plan to set it to 390 cfm to avoid triggering a requirement for make-up air, because the home has no ductwork that would allow easy connection of make-up air. Some time in the future I can install a whole-house intake air system and bump it up to higher speed. In the showroom, at least, it was hardly working at 390 cfm and was therefore much quieter than lesser-rated units running near their maximum.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,778

Good you are aware of it and want to add it relates to naturally drafted combustion appliances which are going away. If you do not have an at risk appliance then the limitation no longer applies, I believe.

In some cases the at risk appliance is scheduled to be replaced anyway so it can be more convenient and even less expensive to change it.

What do you have under the hood? I love to cook .

Bud
ablodneyget likes this.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectricianTV View Post
I like number 3. No junction box to find later, no extra splices. Leaving some extra cable in the attic is not a bad idea, just strap it down properly.
Thank you for your input. Based on this and @Nealtw 's comments it sounds like the "principle of least astonishment" is the way to go here. I don't want to do something that surprises or makes life difficult for the next guy.

One thing that occurs to me is that someday a person might want to install upper cabinets and a cabinet-mounted hood---our design calls for no uppers around the range---and having a j-box in the wall or ceiling would make it more difficult to do so, whereas a cable could just be pulled through.

All my new cable runs are protected by running boards the length of the attic. I should have enough room to go farther than needed and make a U-turn for extra slack.

What I have now is an MC cable through the top plate, but on the wrong (right-hand) side, because I originally planned to stop at gas range outlet further down and then come back up with the cable. Once I bought the hood, though, I found it required a dedicated circuit and had to change it.

Per @jhil 's suggestion, there is enough room to loop the cable under the duct and exit the wall to the left, although I suppose the cable could come to rest against the duct if it gets pulled taut. I had planned to either back it out into the attic and drill a new hole to the left, or leave it in the attic until the wall is finished and then drill straight through the ceiling.

Sounds like a junction box is a bad idea. Thanks for your comments!

Last edited by ablodneyget; 03-03-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,038

I also vote for #3.
ablodneyget likes this.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Good you are aware of it and want to add it relates to naturally drafted combustion appliances which are going away. If you do not have an at risk appliance then the limitation no longer applies, I believe.

What do you have under the hood? I love to cook .

In some cases the at risk appliance is scheduled to be replaced anyway so it can be more convenient and even less expensive to change it.

Bud
We have an EPA wood stove insert (a godsend during this renovation--especially while the kitchen ceiling was torn out) but otherwise all-electric. The heat/ac is a mini-split unit with zoned electric resistance heat as backup. I installed an outlet box for a potential future gas range so that the wall need not be torn open if we one day install propane, but for now we're going with a GE Cafe dual-oven induction range CHS995SELSS--one of very few out there with knob controls. The hood will be 36" and set as high as we can get with our 8' ceilings. We didn't have space for a separate wall oven in our layout, hence a range instead of a separate cooktop, and my wife has favorable opinions of our "as seen on TV" portable induction unit for over a year. (Yes, she's still speaking to me!)

Last edited by ablodneyget; 03-03-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
range hood , vent , ventilation