Bathroom Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathroom lighting

In our condo we have a finished bsmt with a small bathroom, There is a overhead light controlled by a light switch then a light over the vanity which was controlled by a switch in medicine cabnient . well the cabnient was broke and cant find a replacement and now I want to put a light and mirror above vanity but need a way to turn light off and on, the wiring to the new light will just keep the light on all the time . I there a way to install wall switch to controll light thx.
jcamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

Can you determine where the current feed is located? If the switch in the cabinet has 2 blacks and 2 whites in a cable assembly the feed is into the switch. If the switch only has a black and a white in a cable the feed is at the light. Once you report back instructions can be given without details you don't need.
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

thx jim thx cabnlent is gone just the wires are in the wall blk wht and gnd I could not fine a med cabnient with lights controlled by a switch so I was going the light with mirror route and hoping to controll the light with a wall switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

If I understand you correctly the old switch was in the cabinet and the switch only had a black and a white connected to it. Correct?

If so you could cut in an old work switch box and install the cable into the box and wire up your switch. If the cable is not long enough you could remove it from the light box and run a new longer cable.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #5

see there is no way no turn off light unless you unscrew lightbulbs , can i install some sort of lightswitch to control light thx
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom lighting-dscn1102.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Please see my last post above your pic.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #7

correct the switch was mounted in old cabnient but it was trashed thrown away , one blk one wht wire , I no longer have the switch so what are options now can I install a box with a light switch near this light and run the wires to it and if so any diagrams or instuctons on line for a guide thx. fyi the light above the mirror does not have an off on switch.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Licensed electrician

Was the cable that fed the old switch also removed?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #9

yes the switch and thin blk and wht cables were connected to the old med cabneint now there are just a blk and white line going from wall to the 3 bulb light above mirror which will just stay on unless you unscrew bulbs. I cant find a med cabnient or light which has a built in off on switch.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Can you also post a pic of the cable or cables currently sticking out of the wall?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #11

pics thx
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom lighting-dscn1105.jpg   bathroom lighting-dscn1106.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #12

bump please
Old 07-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #13
Mad Scientist

To clarify, we're talking about that light over the cabinet, right? The ceiling light has its own switch and works properly? If so, you will have to install a box in the wall where you would like the switch for your cabinet light to be.

You will then have to run a new cable through the wall between the new switch box and the cabinet light location. I believe you will also need to install a box in the wall behind the light, and run your new and existing cable into it.

You would then connect the existing black wire from the wall to the new cable's white wire. Mark the end of that white wire black with a marker or electrical tape.

Connect the black wire from the new cable to the black wire on the light fixture.

Leave the existing white wire connected to the light fixture's white wire.

Connect all bare ground wires together.

At the new switch box, connect the black and white wires to the screws on the sides of your new switch. Connect the bare ground wire to the green screw on the switch. Remember to also mark the white wire black at this end as well.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #14

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement