Bathroom Fan Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

I have a Broan 655 bathroom fan/heater/light, and while it works fine, the light must be turned on for the fan and heater to operate. There are three wall switches controlling this fan. The lower switch terminals are all tied together with a wire coming from the wall, and there are three independent wires coming out of the wall and going to the upper terminals. The light switch must be turned on for the fan and heater switches to work. However, if I have all switches off, shorting the upper terminals for the light and fan switches causes the fan to come on but not the light. I'd like to rewire it so light/fan/heater work independently, but I don't know where to start. The manual assumes you're wiring to a double-gang switch box, but I've got three separate light switches. Any ideas?

Don't see how to edit my message, but the relevant Broan web pages are:

Broan 655 Light/Fan/Heater

Broan 66V Switch

The 655 manual gives a wiring diagram that appears to correspond to the 66V switch.
tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
but I don't know where to start
I would think the place to start would be to identify which of the wires coming into your box is the supply. Also, make sure you know which circuit breaker supplies your fan and to turn it off when working on your switch wiring. Do you have the ability (volt meter, probe, etc) to identify energized wires?

Quote:
However, if I have all switches off, shorting the upper terminals for the light and fan switches causes the fan to come on but not the light.
This makes me suspect that the wire going into the upper terminal of the light switch is your supply. I also suspect that if you short upper terminals of light switch and heater switch, your heater will come on. Are all of your wires 2-conductor (black, white, plus copper ground)? I assume that this is the case.

If your wiring is as I suspect, then I believe the solution to your problem is to remove the black wire from the upper terminal of your light switch (this is your supply). Also remove the black wire from the lower terminal of the light switch and untie it from the other two switches' lower terminals.

The black supply wire (formerly attached to the upper terminal) should now be attached to the lower terminal and tied to the other switches' lower terminals. This should provide uninterrupted power to all three switches. The black wire formerly attached to the lower terminal (and no longer tied to the others) should be attached to the upper terminal.

Before making these changes, I suggest confirming my assumptions with a volt meter or similar device.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oberkc For This Useful Post:
tima2381 (06-24-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

I do have a voltmeter and tester, but I wasn't sure how to interpret my results. If I understand you correctly, the electrician confused the common supply wire and the light control wire. To fix it, the supply needs to be tied to the lower three terminals, while the wire coming out of the wall and formerly tied to these terminals is the light control wire and needs to be connected to the upper terminal of the light switch. Thanks for your help. I'll post later with my results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
the electrician confused the common supply wire and the light control wire.
That is exactly how I see it.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

And you were correct! The light, fan, and heater all work independently now. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement