Bathroom Fan Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

Bathroom fan question

I have a Nutone fan that has been starting to make tons of clacking noises which sound like it's the blower part hitting inside (they make these things so cheap!) and today it finally died. It just stopped running completly while it was on. Did not take it down yet but I'm guessing it's the motor - I checked and it's plugged in ok. Either way, I want to just replace it.

Are these fairly standard where I can just take that one down, and insert a new one? Or is the casing different from fan to fan? I want to avoid going in the attic if I can. Too cold up there!

Also one thing I'm even wondering if I should get an inline fan, are those more reliable? I plan to redo the ducting this summer anyway, as I want to make it go out the roof instead of through the overhang. It causes ice build up on the lower level roof which is not good.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like the motor bearings went bad. I've seen just motors with plates available at HD.

Changing out the whole fan may open a can of worms.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

What about the inline fan option, are those good? I find regular bathroom fans never last. They start off quiet then start making tons of noise. Is it the same thing with those? I think part of the problem is over time they suck in dust and it gets into the fins. Probably need to add some kind of filter and clean it regularly, would maybe help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Broan/Nutone bath fans are fairly standard.

Check this link to see if your model is listed as this upgrade kit will be the quickest and easiest option. Most home improvement centers will have this on the shelf.http://www.nutone.com/product-detail...roductID=11225

If your model isn't one that is listed it still isn't too hard to switch it out for a complete new fan.

One way to prolong the life of exhaust fans is to perform a simple cleaning of the fan housing and motor when you change your furnace filter or check the batteries in your smoke detectors. Simply pop the grill off and vacuum the debris with a small attachment.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Sparkaholic

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

Most appliance part supply houses carry the replacement motors and they are very easy to change. Usually cost between $10-$15 for motor. They usually come with a new plastic fan blade too!

A simple solution is to find the part number and see if Home Depot or Lowes or your local hardware store carry it. If it is the basic exhaust fan they are cheap and you can just take the guts from the new one and pop it into the old can and you're done.

Last edited by sparks1up; 05-08-2010 at 01:14 PM.
sparks1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I find regular bathroom fans never last. They start off quiet then start making tons of noise. Is it the same thing with those?
How long do yours last?
Precisely balancing the impeller will go a long way to prolong bearing life but this is costly to the manuf., upfront.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Sparkaholic

[QUOTE= I find regular bathroom fans never last. They start off quiet then start making tons of noise. [/QUOTE]

If it don't break they can't sell you another one

Last edited by sparks1up; 05-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
How long do yours last?
Precisely balancing the impeller will go a long way to prolong bearing life but this is costly to the manuf., upfront.
From my experience, they seem to go well for about 1 year, then after that they start making lot of noise. First time I see one actually die though. It actually started working again too, I did not even do anything. Something must be heating up, and then it cooled down, or something.

I will look into those upgrade kits, that may be an option. This is an older fan, too, came with the house. I cleaned it when I moved in. All full of 30 year old cigarette gunk and stuff.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Sparkaholic

If it has stopped working even intermittently you should unplug it! They can catch on fire if the motor stops and still has power going to it. Usually they just stop working but I have seen where they have caught on fire!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Yeah I will probably do that. I was thinking the same, the motor might be burning itself out.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

For What Its Worth: The last time the exhaust fan in our smaller bath stopped, I decided to do some rearranging. Instead of that small exhaust fan, I shopped for a larger unit knowing that the can would be larger and not wanting to tear out any ceiling. I used the existing can of the old fan, installed the new fan unit in the attic then connected the old can to the new fan housing with flex metal duct and an adapter plate I made from sheet metal flashing. I then connected the new unit to the existing exhaust duct to the roof outlet. The bath fan is so quite now you can hardly hear it run. I have had company tell me that the bath fan is not working. Just an idea. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
For What Its Worth: The last time the exhaust fan in our smaller bath stopped, I decided to do some rearranging. Instead of that small exhaust fan, I shopped for a larger unit knowing that the can would be larger and not wanting to tear out any ceiling. I used the existing can of the old fan, installed the new fan unit in the attic then connected the old can to the new fan housing with flex metal duct and an adapter plate I made from sheet metal flashing. I then connected the new unit to the existing exhaust duct to the roof outlet. The bath fan is so quite now you can hardly hear it run. I have had company tell me that the bath fan is not working. Just an idea. David
Yeah that's what I meant when I asked about inline fan. Are those higher quality? I was thinking of doing the same thing. I would most likely add a filter too so dust does not get caught up in the ducting.

I also want to change the location of where it vents. I'll most likely put a roof vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement