Bath Fan Questions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 288

bath fan questions

wall mount vs ceiling mount? - would a wall mount still do a reasonable job of removing stale air - mounted high up? I see some units claim do do a decent job either way, but not sure if that's true

roof vent vs eave/soffit vent? - thinking a soffit vent advantage would be that I can run the exhaust under the attic insulation all the way to the wall, and also maintain slight downward slope on the entire run (to the vent ) so nothing ever drips back in - also can avoid the roof vent (got 2 - 3 feet of snow up there last winter)

any thoughts appreciated
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't care for wall units. They're usually fairly gutless. I'd opt for a larger unit in nearly any bathroom.

A soffit vent application is an excellent way to do it, especially since you're in an area that gets a lot of snow. Plus, no chance of creating a leak in the roof! They make soffit vent kits for bath fans...Might have to order it or get it online though.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #3

thanks KCtermite - I think I saw a soffit vent kit at the local lumber yard where I do a lot of purchases so I'll check it out - I'll probably avoid the wall units then - i was mostly curious since I see these on the racks in the store but never seen one in anyone's bathroom

not like I've seen a hundred bathrooms though (suppose I could get arrested for that kind of thing ...)

appreciate the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #4

resurrecting this old thread with a new question - I hooked up the bath fan (installed in ceiling as suggested) - wired, inspected, etc. Soffit vent from a local lumberyard store - very simple install.

While surfing around this week I tripped over some discussions around issues with bath soffit vent installs - e.g. moist air venting out the exhaust and then getting sucked back into the attic space via the nearby "normal" soffit vents. I think one post I saw commented on mold and rot in the attic just in that particular area. Then again, others had no issues at all (I guess the warm air getting sucked in would continue on out the ridge or other vents..?).

I can change this to run across the attic over to the gable end and out the wall - approx 15' run. The gable wall option means I eliminate the possibility that bath exhaust can sneak back into attic, but it's a longer run, and I've read that the shorter run, the better (less condensation, etc.)...?

Should I change this up to run out the gable wall? If I do, should I run this uphill a bit (will this help with the airflow?) or downhill a bit (to let any condensation drip outside vs back into the fan housing?). It's not a ton of work or materials - can easily insulate the whole thing (already have extra batts of roxul on site). I know I could "wait and see" (once bath is completed, and lots of showers, etc.) but maybe nipping a potential problem in the bud makes it worth spending a couple $ and an hour or 2 and just changing this up now...?

Thanks once again for any sanity checks.....
Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Chaos Engineer

Rewards Points: 152

Where are you located????

I would stick with what you have for now then in the summer run it up and out the roof above the room. Soffit vents are not good and it may have been bad info to get one. Warm pipe will condense water with cold air around it. so the shorter the run the better. Running the length of the attic would just give it that much more chance to condense and drip or worse yet freeze and build up and melt all at once.
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

I'm in northern Ontario, Canada. My roof can get upwards of 2-3' of snow - that's why I hesitated to go with the roof vent

What if the entire run of pipe was heavily insulated - would that help?

Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Here's a thread I started a few weeks back on this subject:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/insta...ent-fan-62292/

I plan to get a powerful fan, about 180 CFM and run insulated duct to the gable side of the house, about 15-20 feet. Just make sure the duct is graded out of the house. THat way if water does condense, it drips out of the house.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

I replaced the existing soffit vents with another model that had no screen (old one got clogged) and a flap as well. I would stick with what you have. In my case, the 4' of ducting is totally under the attic insulation (avoid condensation)-how are you going to duplicate that with 15' of weakly-insulated duct? Plus, the flap was sticking because of a very thin ice layer (could hear fan AND see sticking flap). Easily reached out to open flap and see what was going on. Ran fan for an hour and it hasn't done it since this weekend.

The soffit vent I have shoots it out there past the lip of the roof. It's not like there's a huge vacuum sucking back all that moist air. I think the people with problems are the ones who don't use a vent and just put the hose on top of the soffit.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #9

Thanks VelvetFoot - sure is a wide range of experiences on this. Glad to know the soffit vent is working out for you.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot View Post
The soffit vent I have shoots it out there past the lip of the roof.
Interesting...where did you get it?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/9261165

I'm not saying it's fancy or anything.
I tried to find a nicer one of similar design, but couldn't.
VelvetFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

I did a remodel a few years back and couldn't decide on a Bathroom Fan I made the mistake of getting a wall unit. Dosen't really have the power I want. You should opt for the soffit vent as mentioned above. You will be happier in the long run.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-25-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: removed advertising links
josphill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement