Basment Finishing Sub Panel Install - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Basment finishing Sub Panel install

Howdy y'all! Spanking new member here. I have begun to work on my basement which is currently about a 1000sqft unfinished space. After a bit of Googling this is where the internet has brought me. I plan on frequenting this forum for advice and information as I go through this project. I have started on the electrical as the first trade. My house was built in 2005 and has 200amp service to a Eaton load center installed in the attached garage. I decided to install a sub panel in the basement. The sub panel is a 125 amp Eaton panel (12 space). I decided to run 2-2-2-4 aluminum SER cable from garage main panel to the basement sub panel. With my calculations and looking at the NEC wire / load chart I came up with a 90 amp breaker that is servicing the feeder. The wire is 90c rated but my panel is 60c/75c rated so 100amp breakers technically would not be complaint, so 90 amps it is. Also removed the neutral bonding screw in the sub panel. My question is about the way I ran the SER cable. My install is NOT complete since I still have to secure the vertical SER run from the sub panel up to the joist, within 12 inches and every 4.5ft I believe? I plan on installing some 2x10s mounted behind the vertical run to secure cable to.

2 things:

1. Cable run and sub panel is and will be in unfinished space mechanical room. Can I run the SER cable in front of the face of a joist/top plate? My home is a modular construction and the top plate of the interior wall where the box is mounted sits under a massive beam, 6 - 2x10's sandwiched together and bolted together every 4 feet or so that ties the x2 first floor modules together. Point is, no services ie. electrical / plumbing pass through this and run under only. Do you see any issues with the photo and what recommendations do you have?

1. Can the SER cable run perpendicular to the floor joists (joist to joist) and secured to the bottom of each joist in unfinished space (mechanical room). Sorry if this explanation is confusing but hopefully the photo shows what I'm trying to say. Looking at the NEC it seams to have an exemption for NM cable 6 gauge or larger.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and looking forward to the learning experience!!

gabriel3714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 892

Re: Basment finishing Sub Panel install

yes, and yes,

your fine
anyacolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anyacolo For This Useful Post:
gabriel3714 (09-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,070

Re: Basment finishing Sub Panel install

If you finish the area with a chase to hide the pipes and wires above it.

And do the drop box to hide the duct work, just add to the drop box to include the wire to the sub

You might have dropped it sooner and come thru the double stud on the left.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
gabriel3714 (10-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement