Basement To 2nd Floor Conduit - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 726

basement to 2nd floor conduit

I want to run a conduit from the basement to our second floor... this is for 100% low voltage or no voltage wireing (cat5, fiber optic, video, telephone, coax...etc) is there any code requirements I might need to know about? this would run vertically inside existing wall joists and through two floors... I'd assume seal around the entrance to each floor with firestop... kind of a no brainer there... but anything else I should know? Should I use metal or can I use PVC piping? Thanks
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Look at the plumbing codes as to how large of a hole you can drill in the top plates/studs of walls. And if you can use reinforcing plates (stud shoes) when drilling a large hole (stud shoe shown below).

I get a kick out of these rules. One rule will say you must have a 4 inch vent (for plumbing), then another rule will say you can't make that large of a hole! (Arrrgggg!)

I would use a bit of common sense with this. Keep in mind that outside walls need to have support from high winds blowing against the wall (left/right) as well as up/down support. And if you go and drill a large hole in a top plate, will that structural support be lost?

An inside non bearing non "shear" wall might be a better wall to drill large holes in.

Stud shoe...

Top plate...
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Look at the plumbing codes as to how large of a hole you can drill in the top plates/studs of walls. And if you can use reinforcing plates (stud shoes) when drilling a large hole (stud shoe shown below).

I get a kick out of these rules. One rule will say you must have a 4 inch vent (for plumbing), then another rule will say you can't make that large of a hole! (Arrrgggg!)

I would use a bit of common sense with this. Keep in mind that outside walls need to have support from high winds blowing against the wall (left/right) as well as up/down support. And if you go and drill a large hole in a top plate, will that structural support be lost?

An inside non bearing non "shear" wall might be a better wall to drill large holes in.

Stud shoe...

Top plate...
Yeah you are right about the outside walls... I need to look for an inside wall that goes from top to bottom maybe... would also keep me from having to deal with insulation issues (trying to get around it and such)
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement