Anything Wrong With This? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

Anything wrong with this?

I am thinking of installing a fan timer for the bathroom, then I starting thinking, it would be cool if the lights turned on when the fan is turned on which would probably help dry up the room a bit faster, but I don't want the fan to turn on if I turn the lights on.

I started messing around with circuit design and realized I could not accomplish what I wanted with just a standard switch. But it seems by using a 3 way switch for the light, I should be able to accomplish what I want.

Anything wrong with doing this, or am I missing something in my logic, where this won't work?

This is assuming the feed comes from the switches, which I'm pretty sure it is.
Attached Images

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

with the circuit, you cannot run just the fan without the lights being on. I often find the need to have the fan running but no need for the lights e.g. after a shower, when I leave the bathroom, I want the lights off but the fan on. With your design, you cannot do that.

Now, if you don't want to include that possibility, then I think your circuit would work just fine for what it appears that you want to have happen.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,082

The fan will still run through the timer with the lightrs off
The circuit will work as you have designed it.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
with the circuit, you cannot run just the fan without the lights being on. I often find the need to have the fan running but no need for the lights e.g. after a shower, when I leave the bathroom, I want the lights off but the fan on. With your design, you cannot do that.

Now, if you don't want to include that possibility, then I think your circuit would work just fine for what it appears that you want to have happen.
Actually that's fine, I'm thinking the extra 400watts of heat may help in drying up the room a bit so it's kinda the idea behind this. Not really sure whether it really will make a difference or not though... maybe I'll just be wasting electricity for nothing. I'd almost have to put it to the test before I do any changes.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have 400w of lights in the bathroom ?
I have 5 bulbs, 2 fixtures = 65w

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Yeah 4 100w bulbs. I was going to put CFLs but because they get turned on/off a lot I decided incads were better choice, and they produce some heat. Makes coming out of the shower a little easier. The furnace is also almost under the bathroom, and there's a direct vent that is no more then a couple feet of duct, I like my heat in the morning.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Master Electrician

I must amend my comment. With the configuration you have either the light will be on or the fan will be on through the 3 way switch. One or the other will always be on.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Wire Chewer

Hmm you're right, now I see it. I never caught that. Think I'll just stick to a normal 2 switch circuit. I'm sure what I want is possible, but it would probably get more complicated. There's only so much room in a 3 gang box especially when I add the timer switch.

Edit: Actually now that I look at it again are you sure? If the 3 way is off (line that goes down towards right being the active position) and the fan switch is off, then power is not getting to the rest of the circuit. I was getting confused by my own diagram there, thinking the red traveler always has power to it which is not the case if the fan switch (single) is off.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 09-11-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Edit: Actually now that I look at it again are you sure? If the 3 way is off (line that goes down towards right being the active position) and the fan switch is off, then power is not getting to the rest of the circuit. I was getting confused by my own diagram there, thinking the red traveler always has power to it which is not the case if the fan switch (single) is off.

consider the terminals on the 3 way labeled as this for my explanation. to the light "load"; power from panel "line 1"; power from fan timer switch "line 2"

If the 3 way is in position to connect the "load" and "line 2" terminal and the fan switch is off, nothing will be on. There is no pathway for the power through the 3 way that would connect "line 1" to "line 2"

I don't know where bricc comes up with his claim that something will always be on. If the timer is off and the 3 way is positioned to connect line 2 to load, nothing will be on as there is no pathway for power to flow to either the light or the fan.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
Master Electrician

Quote:
consider the terminals on the 3 way labeled as this for my explanation. to the light "load"; power from panel "line 1"; power from fan timer switch "line 2"

If the 3 way is in position to connect the "load" and "line 2" terminal and the fan switch is off, nothing will be on. There is no pathway for the power through the 3 way that would connect "line 1" to "line 2"

I don't know where bricc comes up with his claim that something will always be on. If the timer is off and the 3 way is positioned to connect line 2 to load, nothing will be on as there is no pathway for power to flow to either the light or the fan.
I was assuming the line to the 3 way was connected to the common. I guess I was wrong.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 464

You could just have the lights and fan on the timer and both running with the timer. I think just the timer running a minimum of 20 minutes after a shower is adequate for taking the moisture out of the bathroom without the lights on though.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
I was assuming the line to the 3 way was connected to the common. I guess I was wrong.
Review his diagram. He is using the 3 way "backwards" (as most would view such a switch). The common is now the load side and what would generally be viewed as the load contacts are now both being used for line side connection.

Last edited by nap; 09-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Master Electrician

Quote:
Review his diagram. He is using the 3 way "backwards" (as most would view such a switch). The common is now the load side and what would generally be viewed as the load contacts are now both being used for line side connection.
Agreed.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
Wire Chewer

Hehe yeah guess it's a creative way of using a 3 way. LOL. But think I will not go with this as the extra connections required will add more wire nuts, and timer switches tend to be bigger, so I think I'd have too much trouble cramming all of that in there. But yeah think just running the fan might be good enough. There is a 60w light in the shower anyway that goes on with the fan.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Hehe yeah guess it's a creative way of using a 3 way. LOL. But think I will not go with this as the extra connections required will add more wire nuts, and timer switches tend to be bigger, so I think I'd have too much trouble cramming all of that in there. But yeah think just running the fan might be good enough. There is a 60w light in the shower anyway that goes on with the fan.
in every 3 way switching circuit, the second switch is used in that manner. It's just when used individually, it appears odd. If one thinks about it, this is also how a POCO supply and a generator supply is connected to a house with a transfer switch so it really isn't that uncommon.

It is the thinker that utilizes all means available to him that often solves a problem. There is nothing wrong or incorrect in using a switch as you have so if it solves a problem, it is simply good use of equipment available to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement