Anybody Have Experience With These Generators? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 528

Anybody have experience with these generators?

I've been looking into various ways to power backup my house, from backing up the whole house, parts of it, or just a few items.

I found this and it looks quite promising:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Anyone have experience with these? It runs on natural gas or propane, now is this totally interchangeable, or is it a conversion kit? It would be cool to run it on NG by default, but have a valve to hook up a propane tank instead. Let's just say there's a big disaster and even NG is down, then if you have propane on hand you're good to go.

I can't afford this but later on, I would totally do it, as that price is quite decent. It's less expensive then central air!

Also how do "generator panels" work exactly? (seen those sold separately, or part of a system like this one) Is it just a sub panel like any other, except it has a transfer switch? So you put the circuits you want protected on that panel, any other circuits are not protected? If I was to install something like this I'd probably put most of the house, but I'd have to do a sizing to see how much watts I use at peak, and maybe skip less important circuits like the oven.

It seems overkill to get something like this, but it's good to be prepared, not to mention the convenience of having power when there are even short outages. There seems to be a lot in my area due to trees.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I've installed many many of those generators. I love them they are a great buy! As for your fuel question I don't know if you can switch from one to the other after having one hooked up. But the generator panel is simple. You place it next to your house panel. It has I believe a 2" flex line attached to it and that hooks into your panel. The generator panel is already wired with whips coming from the flex and you pick and choose what you want to have on generator power. With that panel you can't really run say a electric range or dryer off of it. Or I should say I wouldn't recommend it. But you can run your basics off of it.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSilanskas View Post
I've installed many many of those generators. I love them they are a great buy! As for your fuel question I don't know if you can switch from one to the other after having one hooked up. But the generator panel is simple. You place it next to your house panel. It has I believe a 2" flex line attached to it and that hooks into your panel. The generator panel is already wired with whips coming from the flex and you pick and choose what you want to have on generator power. With that panel you can't really run say a electric range or dryer off of it. Or I should say I wouldn't recommend it. But you can run your basics off of it.
Cool, so the panel just acts as a basic sub panel then? So I can just take some circuits out of the main, and put on that one, and feed that panel from the main, and then from the generator, and when the power goes out it cuts out the feed from the main, and switches to generator? Really in event of power outage I'd say the most important/luxery things are my server, my computer, most if all lights (not like that's a huge load, they're not always on and I use CFLs for the often used lights) and maybe the home entertainment system once I get that setup. Now the nice thing to have would be the washer and dryer but guess that's not really doable with that panel, do they even have double pole 240v breakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

changing fuels on this generator appears to be quite simple. Check out page 9 on this PDF:

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Hom...alog/42662.pdf
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
changing fuels on this generator appears to be quite simple. Check out page 9 on this PDF:

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/Hom...alog/42662.pdf

I think he's talking about like a quick release to change from one to the other in a hurry
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

If I recall it correct that with NG and LP verison the fuel carubator have diffrent calberation setting on two diffrent fuel setting.

That one reason why with NG and LP have diffrent KW rating on them the much larger size units it will not affect it but smaller one yes it will affect it.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Really in event of power outage I'd say the most important/luxery things are my server, my computer, most if all lights (not like that's a huge load, they're not always on and I use CFLs for the often used lights) and maybe the home entertainment system once I get that setup.
Not the fridge?
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by operagost View Post
Not the fridge?
Errr yeah I missed that lol Fridge, possibly microwave. Oven would be nice but maybe that's pushing it. The furnace too now that I think of it.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 422

Here's there company site

http://www.generac.com/VideoLibrary/Residential/

They have many different sizes

I've looked at them before but our electric is really reliable around here.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,130

Generac is a well-respected, international company. We use some of their smaller generators in specialty vehicles we build for U.S. Customs and the military.

I was told by long-time residents where I was building a new house that the power often went out for days at a time, so I looked into a whole-house generator powered by propane. But it's been two years now and the power has never gone out for more that a minute.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I was told by long-time residents where I was building a new house that the power often went out for days at a time, so I looked into a whole-house generator powered by propane. But it's been two years now and the power has never gone out for more that a minute.
Lucky you!
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

I think I will definably consider this in the future. Now am I understanding correctly how the connections work? I attached a diagram of the way I think it works.

I don't have the money now, but I think the price of this makes it well worth it, so eventually I may invest in it. Waiting will also give me time to see if power outages happen often enough to make it worthwhile, but either way it's always good to be prepared for the worst.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #13

I've had a generator since '99
I have yet to have to use it for an extended power outage
I did use it when I was having my Service feed & panel replaced

I have a Genpac (I think) that allows me to feed 6 circuits
Plus plugs off the generator
I bought everything together from a friend who bought a whole house gas unit
It was cheap $$ since it is used
6 circuits I feed are
Fridge - I can also plug something else in
A lighting circuit with different lights thru the house
Oil fired burner
Freezer - can also plug other items in (sump pump)
Then 2 outlet circuits

I thought of a whole house auto-gas fired system
But in 11 years I have not needed anything more then a portable

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

we just went through a period of 4 days (and others in my area were out 5-6 days) and bought a generator. It is a 5kw unit and it will power anything in my house and it will power almost everything in my house at once. The only thing I could not do was run my AC and electric water heater at the same time but short of that, I could run everything I normally do.

It is a portable unit. What I intend on doing is installing an outside receptacle so I can run a cord from the generator to the recep and installing a manual transfer switch. All I will have to do is plug the gen in, flip the transfer switch and fire up the generator.

I can manually turn off any breakers in my panel to anything I want to exclude from being run.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

I have two diesel generators one is at 5 KW slow speed diesel and larger one is 20 KW that also slow speed and the last power outage that one was pretty long one it was over 2 weeks and I handle it pretty good with small one for nite time but day time it will be either small one or switch over to larger unit.

Yeah I have double MTS for both units and both units are wired for three phase 480Y277 volts.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement