Another Subpanel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 25

Another Subpanel

In the process of installing a 100A subpanel in an attached garage. It will be located in a finished (and insulated) wall between the garage and dining room.

1. Does the proposed panel location meet fire separation code? Adequate clearance in front of the panel does exist.

2. One circuit is for a dedicated welder. It will be run with 8/2 (stranded) wire and will terminate in a 20A single outlet for now. I have a small MIG now that would operate on 14/2, but I'd like to upgrade to a 240V one in the future. The 20A outlet only accepts up to 10 wire, so could I just pigtail #10 onto the #8 in the outlet box?

Never really did any wiring before, but a licensed master electrician reviewed my proposed work at my house for feasibility. I have pulled a permit. The electrician will return to review my all of work before the final permit inspection.

I have done a lot of research on this site, but still have some more questions.
H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Engr View Post
In the process of installing a 100A subpanel in an attached garage. It will be located in a finished (and insulated) wall between the garage and dining room.

1. Does the proposed panel location meet fire separation code? Adequate clearance in front of the panel does exist.

2. One circuit is for a dedicated welder. It will be run with 8/2 (stranded) wire and will terminate in a 20A single outlet for now. I have a small MIG now that would operate on 14/2, but I'd like to upgrade to a 240V one in the future. The 20A outlet only accepts up to 10 wire, so could I just pigtail #10 onto the #8 in the outlet box?

Never really did any wiring before, but a licensed master electrician reviewed my proposed work at my house for feasibility. I have pulled a permit. The electrician will return to review my all of work before the final permit inspection.

I have done a lot of research on this site, but still have some more questions.

For 1, I don't see a problem when it comes to the panel.

2, As long as the breaker that 8/2 is on is a 20 amp, changing down to #10 is not a problem (the trouble is WHERE to put the splice). Remember, according to code, the breaker protects everything downstream. What I would have suggested if you hadn't done the work yet, would be pull some 14/2 or 12/2 with the 8/2, and set up the correct recep for the larger welder, and a regular plug for the mig welder. So, it wouldn't be a problem when the new welder comes in, you have a spare plug.

Aaron
exploreralpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the insight. The work hasn't been done yet and I'm still procuring materials, but will get started today. I'm running 4 separate convenience outlet circuits (20A each), a 15A lighting (12 4' dual-tube T8s), a 15A garage door opener, and dedicated A/C, heat, compressor, and welder circuits in my 2-car garage. The AC, compressor, and welder circuits will be on 10/2, 10/2, and 8/2 romex wired for 110V, so they will be expandable to 220V, if needed. Lots of materials...

Anyone have a time estimate for this type of DIY project? A month of weekends is my estimate.
H2O Engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement