Another Sub Panel Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Another sub panel question

I searched a few pages and did not find the answer I was looking for so I will ask here. Our house is a 2 story house and we are currently gutting the 2nd story of the lath and plaster and instead of running my 12-2 down the exterior wall to the main box for each room I want to put a sub panel in one of the rooms on the 2nd story. So I just want to make sure I got it right I am going to use a 60 amp sub panel about 30 feet from the main so I would use 6-3 wire correct? Also just for the sake of asking and making sure I understand it right nothing in our house is 220 and there will never be anything 220 in the 2nd story so a 60 amp panel is 2 legs 60 amps each right? So I am good for 120 amp's at 120V since nothing is 220?

Also are you allowed to use a bigger panel then the breaker and wire rating? Like say I put a 100amp sub panel box can I still run say a double pole 50 or 60 breaker and 6-3 to feed it?

Last edited by Block666; 11-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Block666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 946

Your plan is solid.
Remember to get a ground bar and keep the neutrals and grounds separate.
Do not put the panel in a closet.

You can use any size panel from 60 amps up.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

The 2nd story has 3 bedrooms 1 bathroom and 1 living space guess call it a second living room. Sucks it cant go in the closet guess its going on the wall in the living room area. Would make it easier I have been running my new lines in 12-2 so I could wire the living room on 2 different breakers half room on 1 half on other. Can I do it on 2 different leads or do they require using a single 12-3? Why are you not supposed to mix the ground and the neutral btw? Some say its ok and some say it aint. Its like the closet I know the NEC says no but my dads house when we did it the inspector for the city did not care. Same for the ground and neutral they let us mix them on his.

Last edited by Block666; 11-29-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

You can use two different cables. No need for 12/3.
You can cover the panel with a picture etc. as long it can be removed for access when needed.

A sub panel has to have the ground and neutral kept separate. The reason is the ground is not supposed to carry any current except in a fault. If you bond the ground and neutral at the sub panel the ground and neutral wire between the sub and main panels will share the current.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

How about it being in a closet are there any exception's? I have a space off one of the rooms I was wanting to put it in its more of a access space because the slant of the roof its a space between the room walls and the roof so it not really a closet it wont be used for anything was just thinking if I could put it there I don't have to finish the wall such as drywall around the box or anything I could then leave it open for easy access
Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,654

The panel cannot be in an area near easily ignited materials like a clothes closet. You also need roughly a refrigerator sized work area around the panel to allow safe work space.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,958

If you call it a utility room and it doesn't have rod for clothes or shelves it might fly. It also must a working space about the size of a fridge in front of it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The panel cannot be in an area near easily ignited materials like a clothes closet. You also need roughly a refrigerator sized work area around the panel to allow safe work space.
I've never understood the definition of easily ignited materials, why they so feel to include clothing is beyond me….
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement