Another Attempt - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joed

Old 11-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Red Seal Painter

Rewards Points: 44

Another Attempt

Thank you to @joed and @RAL238 for their helpfulness on the thread that began this.

I am NOW hoping to install a SINGLE switch for one set of pot lights and a pair of switches for another series of pot lights. The wires already exist and on the drawing below they are marked Y, V, A, X, and Z.

I just want to know if this will 1. work and 2. be up to code. If the answer to either is 'no' then I would love to hear how I can adapt this.

Another Attempt-new-light-drawings.png

Thanks, Robert
RobMcN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
Commercial. Const. ret.

Rewards Points: 2,174

Re: Another Attempt

1. Yes, that current flow chart will work just fine.

2. Depending on how the actual cables or conduits are ran, you may or may not be code compliant. You will need a neutral present at all switch boxes and junctions to comply with current code. Even with past code, you would not be allowed to run a line conductor all alone in a conduit without a neutral or another phase conductor present with it.
surferdude2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,124

Definitely not up to code. Hots and neutral need to be run together.
It does look like it would function however.
CodeMatters likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
Red Seal Painter

Re: Another Attempt - completed

Well, for either of you who are interested, this is what I ended up with. I hope it is up to code. Thanks for your help, by the way. Itis very much appreciated @joed and @surferdude2 .

Another Attempt-electrical-drawing-revised.png

If you still see any needed changes, please let me know.

Robert
Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
Commercial. Const. ret.

NO, you aren't allowed to switch a neutral in your particular way. Furthermore, the ways that safe neutral switching are allowed by code will not help you in this case. Sorry.

Last edited by surferdude2; 11-24-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,124

Not even close to being code compliant.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
Red Seal Painter

Argh. What is the best I can do under my wiring circumstances? A single switch for each light? If so, please just tell me the proper way to do it!

On the other hand, I'm getting pretty handy with a wire cutter and needle nose pliers combo. And, I'm glad I left plenty of line at each JB.

By the way, when you say 'switching neutrals' do you mean i should be using the black line instead of the white?

And even though I don't know the code, we did pass wiring inspection before the drywall went up, so, I am sure you're cringing in your seats wondering if there will be a house on fire somewhere in Canada in the near future - please, have no fears. I will not give up until I have this code compliant.

Robert
Old 11-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #8
Commercial. Const. ret.

Without seeing the actual physical layout, it's not possible to design you out of this.

The best I can do is to say run a feed circuit from the source panel and loop it between a 4 sq. box at each light location. From each of those j-boxes, you can run a switch leg to where ever you would want to switch the particular light from. The switch leg only need be 12/2 w/ground NM. At the light j-box, connect the white wire of the switch leg to the black wire of the incoming feed wire. Connect the black wire of the switch leg to the light fixture black wire. Connect the white wire from the incoming feed wire to the white wire of the light. Then at the switch box, connect the white wire to the top screw of a single pole switch and connect the black wire to the bottom screw.

If you can use existing conduit runs, or choose to run new ones, then ignore my reference to Nm wire and use two black wires (or any color except green, white or grey) for the switch legs. If the B.S. inspector (that stands for Building & Safety, not that other thing that is sometimes also appropriate) is using NEC 2011 and later, then include a white wire in the conduit run, connect it to the white wire at the light j-box and nut it off as not connected at the switch box.

Last edited by surferdude2; 11-25-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:31 AM   #9
Red Seal Painter

Thank you for that. I'll read through it slowly and follow it.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:05 AM   #10
Commercial. Const. ret.

You can run other switch locations from your first switch location if that be your need. If installing one additional switch, then you'll use a a 3-way switch at each switch location and three colors (one color different than the other two) in the conduit between the switch boxes.

If you need more than two switch locations for a particular light, you will need to use a 4-way switch between the 3-way switches. The 3-ways will be located at the first and last switch location of the leg. The 4-way goes in the center location. The 4-way switches connect to the travelers (the wires of the same color) and not the feed (different color than the travelers).

GL with the project, I'll check by as time permits to see if you need further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement