70W HPS Issue - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

70W HPS issue

I have some Lithonia 70W HPS single tap lights (and some Lithonia 100W MH lights, also single tap) my wife and I use to start our veggies and flowers indoors and then move outdoors. One of them is cycling on and off constantly. I've changed lamps, bypassed the photocell, checked the connections inside the socket...everything looks solid. I've heard the dry capacitor inside may be the issue here. Anyone care to comment? I also have another one that has stopped working altogether. It's a dead short...when I flip the breaker it kicks off. I'm assuming this one is the ballast itself? All lights are wired to a single circuit on the electrical box, 20A breaker, 2 70W HPS, 2 100W MH so it should be plenty. Nothing else is on the circuit. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!
DrkSdeOTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Sparkaholic

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

If it is cycling on and off after you have replaced the lamp, the ballast is bad. It is typical for a bad ballast to act in this manner. It is overheating and shutting itself off and back on after it cools. The igniter or capacitor will not cause it to cycle as you described they are only to ignite the lamp and are obviously working since the lamp does light.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Not sure if this makes any difference, but the bulb itself never goes off completely. It brings the bulbs down to the output strength I would normally see when starting the light up. It stays there for about 5 seconds, then does comes back up to full brightness again. Still the ballast??? Any ideas on the other one that's a dead short, or is it time to start taking it apart and swapping out parts? May not be worth it since I only paid $50 for the light. Thanks for your help sparks1up!
DrkSdeOTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement