60 Amp Federal Fuse Panel Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

60 Amp Federal Fuse Panel Question

Hey guys, I have an old 2 unit apartment building that I an rennovating and it has a 60 amp box with the "main and range" disconnects and 4 15 amp fused circuits. My question is what size cartridge fuses should be in the disconnects? Also I am going to be replacing alot of knob and tube with romex in one unit and was planning on running 12-2 for outlets, so could this circuit be a 20 amp with a 20 amp fuse, or will it still be considered a 15 amp even with 12 gague wire?
Thanks!

Last edited by flatlander745; 06-03-2010 at 01:12 PM.
flatlander745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 506

you probably have 15 amp outlets.

a chain is only as stong as its weakest link.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 464

Perfectly ok to used 12 ga for 15 amp outlets, often preferred in new wiring, just not 14 for 20 amp, such as kitchen appliances.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander745 View Post
Hey guys, I have an old 2 unit apartment building that I an rennovating and it has a 60 amp box with the "main and range" disconnects and 4 15 amp fused circuits. My question is what size cartridge fuses should be in the disconnects? Also I am going to be replacing alot of knob and tube with romex in one unit and was planning on running 12-2 for outlets, so could this circuit be a 20 amp with a 20 amp fuse, or will it still be considered a 15 amp even with 12 gague wire?
Thanks!
If you going to replace a bunch of K&T in one unit I will strongly recomend that you get new load centre to ditch the 2by4 fuse box { 2 cartage fuse plus 4 plug fuse } then you will have to bring all the circuits up to the modern codes and you will need proper permits to do this and if you don't live in that building you must have to get the electrician to come out and deal with it { the electrical code is very specifc on this one }

for the 4,0mm˛ { 12 AWG } conductors you can use either 15 or 20 amp breakers but on 2.5mm˛ { 14AWG } it must be on 15 amp breaker.

There are few spefic codes you have to follow :
Kitchen area you will need minum of 2 SABC { small appalince branch circuit } it have to be 20 amp circuit.{ RCD { GFCI } protecion is required }
Bathroom it will be required to be on 20 amp circuit and it will only goes to the bathroom no other rooms at all { to feed other bathroom it is legit but no light if you go this route }{ again RCD{GFCI} mantory }

any room is not on RCD { GFCI } required AFCI if you are on 2008 NEC code cycle.

There may be additonal requirement especailly with mulitfamily unit or apartment units so check with local office to see what they require.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

In Minnesota a non-licensed person can only do wiring in his owner occupied home. You may want to do some checking before you get too far into this as to what your state has for code in this area. Your insurance company may not allow it either.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Is anyone familiar with Pennsylvania Codes in this area? I know that service needs to be updated, just a cost issue right now.
flatlander745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pennsylvania does not have a state-wide electrical license. Each local jurisdiction has its own requirements, if at all. There are many areas in the state that do not require a permit, or license. What city, town, or township are you referring to?

Best to check with your local building officials, or inspection agency.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement