50 Volts To Phone Jack But No Dial Tone? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 267

50 volts to phone jack but no dial tone?

i'm connecting Cat 3 from legacy 3 wire phone cable to new jacks in other rooms. i've connected the white and blue/white Cat 3 wires to the green and red on the legacy wires. i'm getting 50 volts to the jack but no dial tone.

what am i doing wrong?

thanks as always..
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have to pick up a phone or load down the line with a resistor so the TelCo knows you are requesting a line. Are you already past that point?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-22-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Do you currently have or has there ever been a second line in the house? If so, are you sure your hooking up to the correct block/line? A disconnected line will still carry the voltage but no dial tone if the phone company left the line connected at the central office, DSL only lines will also carry 50 volts but no dial tone. Also, if the line is shorted at some point white/blue-white tip/ring touching at some point the CO will see this as a phone of the hook so you will get you voltage but no dial tone, do the other phones in the house still work? Might not help but thought I would mention it.
mgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

sorry for the delay, i've been sidetracked.

current phone in kitchen still works. The Cat 3 was for a new second floor, all the new BRs have a phone jack. I'm not "adding" a phone line, i just want the upstairs jacks to work all on the same number as the working kitchen line. So all i'm doing is adding more jacks.

This was all done by the contractor when my addition was done 2 years ago but i never used the jacks upstairs EVER because i always just used the cordless from the kitchen. Now i want to hook up a fax machine upstairs and realized i don't have a dial tone. I can't recall if there EVER was a dial tone up there after the addition was done.

after working on it this weekend i get a dial tone out of ONE of the (new) jacks, but no dial tone on the other (new) 2. but i'm getting 50 volts to them.

The Cat 3 line connects to the old phone line in the basement, then up to the attic and it's piggy tailed to 3 bedrooms. One bedroom gets the dial tone but the other 2 just get 50 volts.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 518

Check that pigtail, sounds like it could be a bad connection in the wirenuts or whatever was used. Residential CAT3 telephone wiring is very very simple, not much to go wrong except mismatched colors or bad connections.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 528
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Could be the wrong white/X wire was used (thinking white/green verses white/blue) this could be anywhere along the line in any of the jacks. I'd check all the connections, including the connections at the new jack that is working, make sure all the right colors were used and are continuous through out all the jacks. It's very possible the contractor mixed up the colors of the wires (could be color blind, who knows). The 50 volts may just be induced via the other wires, i'll bet that if you plug a phone and leave it off the hook on one of the non-working jacks and check for voltage you'll get nothing.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #7

thanks for all the feeback.. yes, it should be very very simple that's why its frustrating that it doesnt work. and yes the Cat 3 wires are so brittle that 2X the part i unshielded just snapped right off when i tried sliding it into place.

i'm just going to have to suck it up and go each jack at a time IN LINE and check for voltage and dial tone and just keep at it until that one jack works and then move down the line.

thanks for the support.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowguy View Post
each jack at a time IN LINE and check for voltage and dial tone and just keep at it until that one jack works and then move down the line.
Sometimes the phone lines are connected in a loop so that a single break does not disable the service.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement